Just about got everything to build my first soft wash roof cleaning system just need to buy a 12v cooling fan, I'm guessing I just need a fair bog standard one to put in the aluminium case I have (the same setup as the Powerwash.com soft wash in a box system) or would I need a more heavy duty one?

Thanks again for all your help and assistance

Jonathan

Why do you feel you need a cooling fan ? Are you running a bypass on your pump where it runs all the time ?

Why do you feel you need a cooling fan ? Are you running a bypass on your pump where it runs all the time ?

Chris I've built a replicate system to the Powerwash.com soft washing in a box system which is in an aluminium box I didn't want the pump to get too hot.  I'm all new to this thing so was copying the Powerwash guys setup as I thought it looked like a good setup.  I've read a fair amount on here and what keeps coming up is looking after the pump so it doesn't fail.

If I'm doing the wrong thing in adding a cooling fan then please tell me.

Thanks

There should be a D.I.Y on this site for a soft wash system... I think when i get my air setup complete.. i am going to make a step by step instruction for a basic roof cleaning system 100 gallon with pictures parts, part numbers etc.  But it should be kept confidential to paid members of this forum.  let me know what you think.

I think it's a great idea I watch when you were building yours and it's awesome thanks good idea

Chris I've built a replicate system to the Powerwash.com soft washing in a box system which is in an aluminium box I didn't want the pump to get too hot.  I'm all new to this thing so was copying the Powerwash guys setup as I thought it looked like a good setup.  I've read a fair amount on here and what keeps coming up is looking after the pump so it doesn't fail.

If I'm doing the wrong thing in adding a cooling fan then please tell me.

Thanks

No, I forgot that you placed the pump in your softwash system INSIDE the box.

Building your own "Soft-Wash System" can be a great option for those just starting out. However, for those that are interested in purchasing a Certified Soft-Wash System, we have several options and products available to fit your needs. Whether you're just starting out or you've been in the business for many years, we have the tools and products to get every job done - efficiently  and effectively. 

Building your own "Soft-Wash System" can be a great option for those just starting out. However, for those that are interested in purchasing a Certified Soft-Wash System, we have several options and products available to fit your needs. Whether you're just starting out or you've been in the business for many years, we have the tools and products to get every job done - efficiently  and effectively. 

Here is a video showing brief glimpses of the softwash system you guys use.

Softwash Videos like these create a demand among customers for roof cleaning.

In the spirit of this softwash system thread, here is another already made option.

This one is a little different in that it allows you to run the softwash  pump all the time, by bypassing the excess flow and pressure back into the tank.

This will keep the pump from cycling on and off, but it also creates heat on the 12 volt electric motor.

As you can see, there is a cooling fan installed inside the box, with a switch.

Hey guys, I have been cleaning roofs for a year and a half- two years... Something like that... With my crappy homemade 12 volt system. Since moving from Ocala, FL to the Wilmington, NC area, and starting my business from scratch, I am having to rethink everything. Back home, most roofs were single story, and easily walkable. Here they are mostly two story, and steep pitched. And the going rate is even less here. Go figure. I digress... So anyway, the 5 GPM pumps I was using before do not reach the peaks here very well, and after I switched to a Fatboy, I kept blowing relays and springing leaks at hose fittings. I only wash about 1 Roof a week, but I can't get through a job without some kind of equipment problem.

So what do you guys think I should do? Buy a professionally built 12 volt system? Build an air diaphragm system? I was wondering if this would work? http://wilmington.craigslist.org/hvd/4374485668.html budget and trailer space are a little bit of an issue, but I want to get it right this time. I was thinking I could build an air system with one of those viton pumps for around $1000?

There is nothing wrong with a homemade system. If it's making you money then it's serving it's purpose. If you're spraying from the ladder, you'll definitely want at least a 7+ GPM pump with a consistent "open" PSI of 60 or more. To achieve those results I recommend the Flojet R7300132A. A 5 GPM pump will work as well, however, they usually produce a "open" PSI of about 40 which will limit your distance. You can also try changing your spray nozzles; a 0050 works really good for distance.

More than likely, the Fat Boy relays keep blowing because of incorrect wiring. Make sure that all leads are at least 10 AWG and no longer than 16 - 18 inches from the battery. Also, if the batteries are not fully charged, it will cause additional stress on the pump causing it to overheat and fail. As far as the leaks, you always want to make sure you are using the correct fittings and sealant.

Since you only complete one or so roof cleanings a week, I would not invest a lot of money into a new build. However, if you are interested in spending the money, we do offer a great system for around $5,000.00. 

http://certifiedsoftwash.com/softwash-roof-cleaning-system-equipment.htm

If I was you, I would spend $600 - $800 and build your own system using all the correct stuff and you won't have any problems.

You can contact me anytime at: 517-672-2765 or e-mail info@certifiedsoftwash.com 

Hey guys, I have been cleaning roofs for a year and a half- two years... Something like that... With my crappy homemade 12 volt system. Since moving from Ocala, FL to the Wilmington, NC area, and starting my business from scratch, I am having to rethink everything. Back home, most roofs were single story, and easily walkable. Here they are mostly two story, and steep pitched. And the going rate is even less here. Go figure. I digress... So anyway, the 5 GPM pumps I was using before do not reach the peaks here very well, and after I switched to a Fatboy, I kept blowing relays and springing leaks at hose fittings. I only wash about 1 Roof a week, but I can't get through a job without some kind of equipment problem.

So what do you guys think I should do? Buy a professionally built 12 volt system? Build an air diaphragm system? I was wondering if this would work? http://wilmington.craigslist.org/hvd/4374485668.html budget and trailer space are a little bit of an issue, but I want to get it right this time. I was thinking I could build an air system with one of those viton pumps for around $1000?

LOL Josh, IF that compressor had a REAL Honda motor on it, I would say yes, but it does not appear to be a real Honda!

Harbor Freight has one for 499.99 brand new!

One of those air compressors, and the small versa matic air pump, and you will be reliable!

However, it will not quite shoot as far as a working fat boy, or a FloJet Pentaflex.

As far as the leaks, you always want to make sure you are using the correct fittings and sealant.

what kind of sealant? I have just been putting the hose on the barb and clamping it down. I swear I have a new leak every time I use my pump.

LOL Josh, IF that compressor had a REAL Honda motor on it, I would say yes, but it does not appear to be a real Honda!

I knew it wasn't a real Honda, but for $599 brand new, I thought it was a fair deal. Worse come to worse I could replace the engine later.

One of those air compressors, and the small versa matic air pump, and you will be reliable!

However, it will not quite shoot as far as a working fat boy, or a FloJet Pentaflex.

You will want to use these fittings: http://catalog.springerpumps.com/viewitems/pipe-fittings/polypropylene-hose-barb

This is the sealant: http://catalog.springerpumps.com/item/pipe-fittings/polypropylene-hose-barb/rstb?&plpver=10&origin=keyword&by=prod&filter=0 

Also, make sure you are using stainless steel clamps. If you redo all the connection with the proper fittings and sealant, you'll have no issues.

I accidentally put my reply mixed in the quote itself...

I knew it wasn't a real Honda engine, but for $599 brand new, I thought it might still be a good deal. Worst come to worse, I could replace the engine, and still come in under what some of the air compressors with Hondas cost new.

Sorry for the duplicate posts and stuff, I can't seem to figure out how this forum works. You need to get on Tapatalk!

I accidentally put my reply mixed in the quote itself...

I knew it wasn't a real Honda engine, but for $599 brand new, I thought it might still be a good deal. Worst come to worse, I could replace the engine, and still come in under what some of the air compressors with Hondas cost new.

Sorry for the duplicate posts and stuff, I can't seem to figure out how this forum works. You need to get on Tapatalk!

TY Josh, I will see if there is a Tapatalk Plug in for this forum! 

Awesome. I check all my Tapatalk forums almost every day. It makes it so convenient to switch between PWI, PT State, PWR, etc.

Josh, I am an "old guy", and did not even know what Tapatalk was, until you mentioned it!

I have found the plug in for it, and I am seeing about getting it installed.

I did not even realize people used it!

Okay, so I have a 1/2" All-Flo PT-05 A pump that someone gave me. I talked to Lori at PWP, and apparently I need a 9 HP air compressor to power this thing! I guess the $500 Harbor Freight compressor will not be good enough. Anybody know where I can get a 9 HP air compressor for a reasonable price? I'm willing to use a Honda knockoff engine for now if I have to. Craigslist has got nothing.

Okay, so I have a 1/2" All-Flo PT-05 A pump that someone gave me. I talked to Lori at PWP, and apparently I need a 9 HP air compressor to power this thing! I guess the $500 Harbor Freight compressor will not be good enough. Anybody know where I can get a 9 HP air compressor for a reasonable price? I'm willing to use a Honda knockoff engine for now if I have to. Craigslist has got nothing.

LOL WITH you Josh, not AT you :)

The 1/2 inch pump will run just fine with the 500 compressor, and will run even better once you can afford a better compressor.