Because so many newcomers  have asked me for a simple "quick and dirty" mix to clean shingle roofs, here it is.
This mix is for 100 gallons total.
You need 68 gallons of water
30 gallons Liquid Sodium Hypochlorite `12.5%
1 - 44 ounce Bottle Original Scent Liquid Gain Dishsoap.
Up to 3 - 44 ounce bottles of Gain may be added for additional cling on steep shingle roofs, and/or help in masking the Chlorine Smell.

This is a fast, easy to make, non pressure roof cleaning chemical mixture that cleans well.

It is not quite as good as the regular Apple Sauce mix, but it has the advantage it is faster and easier to make, and costs less too.

For larger or smaller amounts, simply do the math, if you are making 50 gallons of New Apple Sauce Roof Cleaning Mix, or 400 gallons.

ive been using gain this entire year.. save tons on shipping, and it smells good. my new fav!

I really like locally availiable stuff! I need it when I need it, and hate waiting for shit to be shipped. I also hate paying the shipping on stuff, especially heavy stuff like liquid soaps!

The Liquid Gain works, it works well, plus it is cheap. And, for what it is worth, it is my discovery.

I found it on accident one day, and have used it ever since.

I like using it thick, like 2 to 3 - 44 ounce bottles to 100 gallons of mix. 

At that concentration, it really hides the smell better, but it will leave a film sometimes, on the roof.

No worries, just tell your customers that you are applying a roof treatment, that might leave a slight film, that will go away after a good rain.

It will, and will also have all kinds of sudsy little bubbles that will come off the roof, that smell a lot better then just chlorine!

LOL, New Apple Sauce !

The roofs out here are like carpet in some places... I need a roof mower.

Is that mix something I should leave on overnight and come back another day to rinse?

The roofs out here are like carpet in some places... I need a roof mower.

Is that mix something I should leave on overnight and come back another day to rinse?

You have a lot of Moss out in oregon! 

It requires a different roof cleaning technique.

First, you must spray to kill it with copper or zinc sulfate, and wait for it to die.

Then, it is easier to blow off.

I might have to get an additional agriculture license to spray the copper or zinc sulfate. I am not sure where to buy it either and if that is something I can run through my new Fat bandit set up.

I kill and remove moss all the time with just the roof cleaning solution. Spray it and it looks like cotton balls.

I might have to get an additional agriculture license to spray the copper or zinc sulfate. I am not sure where to buy it either and if that is something I can run through my new Fat bandit set up.

The copper sulfate can be bought at Lowes in the plumbing sections here. It is sold in a tall plastic bottle, and called Root Out.

It is used for keeping tree roots out of drains and septic tanks.

You get a good amount of it for 9.95

I kill and remove moss all the time with just the roof cleaning solution. Spray it and it looks like cotton balls.

the rain does not remove the moss..  and the return of moss is quick if not further treated with a preventative/killer.  I've tried this and moss just clings on.  Just leaves a bad impression leaving that crud on the roof regardless.  Moss is the hardest organism to remove safely off a roof.  Every roof i do have an abundance of moss on it, it requires 2 treatments in order to last a long time.

I remember reading somewhere that  Simple Cherry could be used in this mix to create a 'super mix'. I was just wondering how much of the simple cherry to add to this mix? I have very little knowledge and less experience with TSP so would rather much avoid it.

Simple Cherry is NOT a substitute for TSP. If you don't want to make AppleSauce, then just use the SH and some Green Ultra Gain liquid dishsoap instead.

Simple Cherry is NOT a substitute for TSP. If you don't want to make AppleSauce, then just use the SH and some Green Ultra Gain liquid dishsoap instead.

I understand simple cherry is not a replacement for tsp, I was just looking to enhance the SH/gain mix. I just recall you stating in a thread that adding simple cherry gave you results almost as good as the regular apple sauce. It sounded like a great alternative, since I have simple cherry I wanted to test the mix out. Just didn't know how much to add to a say 50gal mix?

I understand simple cherry is not a replacement for tsp, I was just looking to enhance the SH/gain mix. I just recall you stating in a thread that adding simple cherry gave you results almost as good as the regular apple sauce. It sounded like a great alternative, since I have simple cherry I wanted to test the mix out. Just didn't know how much to add to a say 50gal mix?

I would try 2 to 4 ounces per gallon of mix, so that's from 100 to 200 ounces per 50 gallons

When its hot out, all i use is chlorine and water, the sun is your surfactant.  When its cooler and cloudy out ill add a little bit of surfactant just so i can see the soap hitting the roof.

you mentioned the apple sauce mix,

what is that?

It was an old roof cleaning mix I developed, that worked very well. However, it has both TSP and Borax in it, and is much harder to make and use then what people are using today.

It is a lot easier (no necessarily better) to simply mix the SH and water, then add in some liquid soap.

So what is the original Apple Sauce recipe for a 50gal mix?

Mixture for Apple Sauce Roof Cleaning Mixture is as follows.

For 100 gallons TOTAL mix we need

30 gallons Sodium Hypochlorite

65 Gallons HOT or Warm water

10 lbs TSP

5 lbs Borax

Mix the TSP and Borax in the hot or warm water, and allow to stand overnight, then add the SH and go clean.

Divide in 1/2 for 50 gallons

Because so many newcomers  have asked me for a simple "quick and dirty" mix to clean shingle roofs, here it is.
This mix is for 100 gallons total.
You need 68 gallons of water
30 gallons Liquid Sodium Hypochlorite `12.5%
1 - 44 ounce Bottle Original Scent Liquid Gain Dishsoap.
Up to 3 - 44 ounce bottles of Gain may be added for additional cling on steep shingle roofs, and/or help in masking the Chlorine Smell.

This is a fast, easy to make, non pressure roof cleaning chemical mixture that cleans well.

It is not quite as good as the regular Apple Sauce mix, but it has the advantage it is faster and easier to make, and costs less too.

For larger or smaller amounts, simply do the math, if you are making 50 gallons of New Apple Sauce Roof Cleaning Mix, or 400 gallons.

Hi, im new to the business excited to get started just one quest. This 30% solution wont hurt the landscape?

Okay, just perforned 1st job yesterday cleaning a 2500 sq ft hom. Used 30% SH to water and added 30oz of gain dish soap in a 65 gal tank to try and mask smell but home owner mentioned today that they have a strong bleach smell.. as far as the solution it worked great. Stuck to the roof like glue but im afraid of getting some more complaints. Oh and the bleach im using is 10% SH. Thanks for your time. Will be becoming premium member soon.

Edited by ELITE HYDRO CLEANING