JCstomper

non invasive fall protection?

does anyone know of any fall protection anchors that DO NOT need to be nailed down? I am looking on getting a set up but do not want to nail into customers roofs and add a extra step to our jobs of nail and caulk when finished....

Guest A to Z Roof Cleaning

I just picked up a roof pipe anchor, that will work in situations where you do not have another tie off. You can message me if you want more info.

I am not to sure that the pipe anchor is OSHA compliant? I do not want to use a roof anchor either, I would like to find out if you could tie off to a tree on one side of the roof and work on the other side with warning flags six feet down from ridge. Need to find out if this would be OSHA compliant. Seems like the best option.

yeah i saw the vent pipe anchor that AC makes... honestly, I just looks like something I can weld in my back yard... it seems like just tossing rope over the house and tieing off is the most non invasive way other then the vent pipe... but i dont see the vent pipe taking someones weight in a fall.. i guess both would be good? 

yeah i saw the vent pipe anchor that AC makes... honestly, I just looks like something I can weld in my back yard... it seems like just tossing rope over the house and tieing off is the most non invasive way other then the vent pipe... but i dont see the vent pipe taking someones weight in a fall.. i guess both would be good? 

You would "look good" in this harness, LOL

post-1-0-39832100-1364740776_thumb.jpg

But seriously, The good old rope over the house, secured by a ground screw, or other means, is our favorite, besides using a man lift!

You can get a static nylon rope Eric.

Also Chris if you tie off to a tree you can still walk right off the edge..... How is that safe?

Also our customers can see those pictures you post Chris.

Not a good image in my opinion.

But seriously, The good old rope over the house, secured by a ground screw, or other means, is our favorite, besides using a man lift!

haha nice.. he's missing the tattoos lol

I know the tree tie off would work good. What kind of rope are you guys using? I want something I can use and get all of my employees to use on a regular basis.

We use builder rubble bags and put three 25 ltr water drums in each which give you 75 kgs weight. we put one either side of the house with a rope over the roof with rings attached. We each wear a harness with a long adjustable lanard and hook onto the rings. The bags can be moved to suit. 

You can weld up your own vent pipe hangars. I welded up two of them out of stainless. But, I have never used them. Not many houses up here with roof vent pipes.

I tie off to a tree, or the hitch of my truck, depending on where it need to be. I use lanyards that will not allow a free fall, and rope grabbers that I can slide up and down the rope. 

I know this is an older thread...but worth commenting on. I am am admitted safety Nazi, got the badge and T-Shirt. I have fired employees over violations....I have a zero tolerance safety policy. We always install permanent OSHA approved safety anchors on every roof over a single story low pitch and use AC's pipe anchor on low pitch roofs with accessible and properly placed vent stacks. I would NOT use a pipe anchor on a high pitched roof...it WILL pull up as the pitch increases.

We charge for the anchors too...$50 per anchor installed. Emphasizing safety is another way which differentiates you from the trunk slammers. I explain that the anchors are permanent and that no contractor should be allowed on the roof without proper OSHA approved fall arrest equipment and a second groundsman for safety. How many of your clients call you because they are worried about safely getting on their roofs? Pitch the safety aspect and see how many of them agree with you. It gets me a LOT of jobs which would otherwise go to the cheaper competition.

The tree/bumper tie off I do not believe meets OSHA regs and you can possibly be fined big BIG bucks if you get inspected. Think an inspection won't happen? It happened to us. We got inspected (and passed). The inspector was driving down the main street as my guys were up cleaning a large church building...saw them and stopped. The inspector explained that every improper anchor violation is a potential $10,000 fine. So...it is either take the extra time to install proper certified fall arrest anchors, get more add on sales and add another way to differentiate yourself...or risk big bucks fines...particularly if you have a fall and an employee gets injured or ( God Forbid) worse.

I know this is an older thread...but worth commenting on. I am am admitted safety Nazi, got the badge and T-Shirt. I have fired employees over violations....I have a zero tolerance safety policy. We always install permanent OSHA approved safety anchors on every roof over a single story low pitch and use AC's pipe anchor on low pitch roofs with accessible and properly placed vent stacks. I would NOT use a pipe anchor on a high pitched roof...it WILL pull up as the pitch increases.

We charge for the anchors too...$50 per anchor installed. Emphasizing safety is another way which differentiates you from the trunk slammers. I explain that the anchors are permanent and that no contractor should be allowed on the roof without proper OSHA approved fall arrest equipment and a second groundsman for safety. How many of your clients call you because they are worried about safely getting on their roofs? Pitch the safety aspect and see how many of them agree with you. It gets me a LOT of jobs which would otherwise go to the cheaper competition.

The tree/bumper tie off I do not believe meets OSHA regs and you can possibly be fined big BIG bucks if you get inspected. Think an inspection won't happen? It happened to us. We got inspected (and passed). The inspector was driving down the main street as my guys were up cleaning a large church building...saw them and stopped. The inspector explained that every improper anchor violation is a potential $10,000 fine. So...it is either take the extra time to install proper certified fall arrest anchors, get more add on sales and add another way to differentiate yourself...or risk big bucks fines...particularly if you have a fall and an employee gets injured or ( God Forbid) worse.

Welcome to the RCIA ! I lived in Seattle from 1976 till 1989, been all up in Marysville and Bellingham!

My ex lives in Anacortes! 

We just do not see the steep roofs here in Tampa you guys have out west.

When we do get a steep roof, we use a lift.

Rope Access programs endorsed by the worldwide rope access community, OSHA 1926.500 and ANSI Z359.8 are now available for Aggressively Pitched roofing structures. Non Invasive means for 100% access of even the most aggressively pitched roofing structures that allows for full fall protection for even the first man up so no more drawing for straws to make the initial climb to build an anchor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAkoou0nBlQ

post-1-0-39832100-1364740776_thumb.jpg

Chris, what type of ground screw are you talking about in this post? Where would I find them?