There has always been a big debate whether a cleaned roof should be rinsed, or not. Remember, we are not cleaning a roof with Acid! Acid basically keeps working, unless it is rinsed well and/or neutralized. Not so with SH. The SH hits the organic matter, and the hypochlorite ION forms. This ION goes through a battle with the organic matter (algae) on the shingles, and this battle pretty much weakens the SH so much, no Hypochlorite ION is left. Sort of like the way Peroxide burns on a cut for awhile, then fizzes out. However, what is left behind after the reaction between SH and organic matter is a form of salt. Salt will mess up plants. This is why we rinse a roof, at least partially, if no gutters are present. My roof cleaners are taught at the RCIA to rinse the bottom 1/3 of the roof, from the ground, and then rinse this run off off the plants. Experience has shown this will prevent 90% of any run off problems.

Ive taken to not cleaning roofs if there are no gutters. Not worth the risk. If I do take a job with no gutters I fully warn the customer of the potential "kill zone".

97% of homes in my area have gutters so losing a potential nightmare isn't to bad.

In Northern California we always rinse our roofs (unless rain is imminent). There is a few reasons for this.

1. In the South East, there is fairly consistent rainfall throughout the year. The rain quickly rinses and finishes up the roof cleaning process. In Northern California we commonly go months without rain in the Summer. Rinsing or roofs after cleaning gives them about a 20% cleaner appearance immediately. The homeowners appreciate not having to wait months for that extra 20%.

2. Nearly all of our roofs have gutters. 60% being galvanized steel. Both Sodium Hypochlorite as well as salt are corrosives. Not rinsing roof jacks, solar and skylight hardware, gutters and downspouts could potentially leave corrosives on these for months. This is something that homeowners are unaware of, but we are. At times we explain this and the homeowners are always appreciative.

3. We take aerial photos of most of our work. A rinsed roof always looks better. We could come back after rain but we almost never do. So for us its worth it to do it all on the same visit.

It is always best to rinse a roof. When you rinse, you take control of the entire roof cleaning process, leaving nothing to chance. Depending on rain to rinse a roof with no gutters is sort of like playing Russian Roulette. IF you get a good long rain, you are usually home free, but if you get a slow, 1/2 ass rain, look out! Plants can easily be compromised. 

OK, it takes longer to rinse a roof, but we suggest you at the very least rinse 1/3 of the roof, the bottom 1/3

Experience has shown this to prevent wholesale slaughter of the plants. 

We rinse if we don't have gutters to help deal with runoff. Sometimes we rinse for appearance sake, and sometimes we rinse if we're worried about runoff damage in certain areas. Rinsing doesn't take too long, and doesn't have to be super heavy. Just getting the majority back off will help a lot. That little bit of salt left behind helps deter immediate growth. 

The moral of the story is, there is NEVER a time it's WRONG to rinse! The only wrong is when you don't rinse and you burn someone's landscaping. 

We’re thankful here in the Midwest we don’t have to rinse roofs. I’ve cleaned over 1,000 properties myself and rinse very few. Those are the ones with heavy moss and lichen in which I know the wind and rain won’t get to. Other than that, all we do is flush gutters and it’s all gravy :). I killed one plant out of all those roofs. Just the cost of business.