Roof Savers Canada

Moss On old shingles

From what I have read you have to hit it with a strong roof mix and let it dewell ... and when the moss dies the rain should wash all the moss out ,, don’t quote me on it I am a newbie too.. and when I mean dewell I mean for a couple days , make sure no rain in the forecast ..

The SH has 2 components it breaks down into, depending on the PH. One is the Hyperchlorite ION, the other is Hyperchlorus Acid. It is the ACID that does the killing/disinfecting, and this forms best at lower PH levels. One reason we dump ACID into our swimming pools, to lower the PH, and increase the killing power. The cleaning part of SH is called the Hyperchlorite ION, it is most active above PH 10 - 12. It does the cleaning, and since it is an oxidizer, it increases penetration into the Moss. From just a KILLING Point Of View, diluted SH kills better then a 50/50 mixture, and acidified SH kills even better! Now, I know WTF I am doing, but I dont want you or anyone else to attempt to acidify the SH, OR YOU CAN DIE ! For now, drop to a 15 to 20% SH to water solution vs a 50/50 solution, and STF out of the Moss. I mean, really soak it good. 

There is no real Moss to speak of here in Tampa , but the Killing power of SH is best at lower PH's (diluted). The stronger your SH Solution is (like 50/50), the higher your PH is. However, the penetration power of the SH is best at higher PH levels. It is the penetration of the SH (oxidation) that makes the Moss turn white. When we do roof treatments, we use a 15 - 20 % solution. Weaker solutions (no too weak) kill better. However, in your case, you may need the increased penetration of a stronger solution ? A weaker solution may lack the oxidation potential to penetrate the Moss enough to kill it. My opinion is this, as long as you soak the chit out of the moss with a weaker solution, you will be good to go. The TRICK is to be sure the Moss is soaked (saturated) to ensure you kill it !

Mechanisms of actions of sodium hypochlorite in cleaning and disinfection processes.

Abstract

Sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) is the most widely used disinfectant in the food industry despite the increasing availability of other disinfectants. Sodium hypochlorite fulfills many requirements as the ideal disinfectant and furthermore it has an excellent cleaning action. The effectiveness of sodium hypochlorite in the cleaning and disinfection processes depends on the concentration of available chlorine and the pH of the solution. Hypochlorous acid (HOCl) is a weak acid and dissociates to the hypochlorite ion (-OCl) and proton (H+) depending on the solution pH. It is generally believed that HOCl is the active species in the germicidal action, whereas the concentration of -OCl is a key factor determining the cleaning efficiency. This implies that the optimal pH region of the germicidal activity of sodium hypochlorite differs from that of its cleaning activity. This paper describes the theory and practice of the cleaning and disinfecting operations based on the use of sodium hypochlorite solution.