viewrenew

PTO Pump recommendations for SH?

I’ve picked up a decommissioned lawncare box truck that has a PTO shaft with pulleys that used to drive sprayer pumps. The pumps are gone and from what I’ve read, they use Hydra-cel 25 pumps that were “roundup ready” and cost about $ 3,500 brand new.

I saw these Delavan Diamond SS pumps for $389 - Viton seals. http://www.sprayerdepot.com/Sh…/Delavan-Roller-Pumps/8900DSS

Should I go this route? Rather have two of these pumps for $700 instead of two $5000 pressure washers

I do plan on installing a pressure relief valve to bypass the hose while I’m not spraying ...though any recommendation on how to set this up inline to return to the tank?

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 11.40.49 AM.jpg

Sorry to spoil the party, but the Delevan roller pump with any kind of rollers will NOT stand up to the SH! 

I speak from actual experience. The SH attacks the inner chamber, changing the clearance of the rollers, causing loss of flow and pressure.

Talk to me, what are you wanting to do mostly, clean roofs, or pressure wash ?

7 minutes ago, Apple Roof Cleaning (813) 655-8777 said:

Talk to me, what are you wanting to do mostly, clean roofs, or pressure wash ?

After 6 years, I'm looking to go exclusively house/roof wash with SH - and put the windows/gutters behind me.

I am also strongly considering learning how to clean/treat cedar roofs.

I have surface cleaners and a 10gpm pressure washer now, but the 24gpm flow has me very intrigued.

The truck I have has everything in place to mount PTO pumps, So I figure I'll look into this possible setup and save a lot of money for a more efficient system if possible.

12 minutes ago, Apple Roof Cleaning (813) 655-8777 said:

Before I purchased this truck, I did invest in the 12gpm All Flo Diaphragm pump - which runs off an air compressor. Should I just continue down that route and not "experiment"?

3 minutes ago, Apple Roof Cleaning (813) 655-8777 said:

Why did the 24 gpm flow intrigue you so much ?

I was planning on metering down the flow if necessary. But higher flow rate for rinsing house washes would be great. And right now, anything would be better than my delavan fatboy setup.

It's all about twice the (properly performed) work in half the time, right?

4 minutes ago, viewrenew said:

Before I purchased this truck, I did invest in the 12gpm All Flo Diaphragm pump - which runs off an air compressor. Should I just continue down that route and not "experiment"?

Yes, get a good air compressor, and you will have a reliable, long lasting system. That is the pump we use.

A pressure washer can be run from a PTO, and Lori can set you up with one. That is what to use to rinse with, as well as house wash with by downstreaming, OR you can house wash with the all flow, then rinse with the pressure washer.

23 minutes ago, Apple Roof Cleaning (813) 655-8777 said:

you can house wash with the all flow, then rinse with the pressure washer.

Is there any reason that I cannot rinse with the all-flow? Are you more concerned about plumbing? Is it just a simpler plumbing job with the two systems?

1 minute ago, viewrenew said:

Is there any reason that I cannot rinse with the all-flow? Are you more concerned about plumbing? Is it just a simpler plumbing job with the two systems?

Because the all flo will never rinse like a decent pressure washer, and besides, you really need a pressure washer in the exterior cleaning business

Plus, you already HAVE the PTO, so you can run a badd ass pressure washing pump :) 

17 hours ago, Apple Roof Cleaning (813) 655-8777 said:

Because the all flo will never rinse like a decent pressure washer, and besides, you really need a pressure washer in the exterior cleaning business

Plus, you already HAVE the PTO, so you can run a badd ass pressure washing pump :) 

Awesome, good to know and thank you for helping me sort this out :)

2 hours ago, viewrenew said:

Awesome, good to know and thank you for helping me sort this out :)

Most exterior cleaners have a dedicated roof pump AND a pressure washer.  Many want a high GPM pressure washer, but can't afford it, because the motor required to run an 8-12 gpm pressure wahser isn't cheap. 

Your PTO will run any pressure washing pump, but remember this, for any pressure washer much over 4-5 gpm, you will need a water tank. Trying to run a high GPM pressure washer on tap water isnt good, and often the pump will suck the hose dry :( 

20 hours ago, Apple Roof Cleaning (813) 655-8777 said:

Most exterior cleaners have a dedicated roof pump AND a pressure washer.  Many want a high GPM pressure washer, but can't afford it, because the motor required to run an 8-12 gpm pressure wahser isn't cheap. 

Your PTO will run any pressure washing pump, but remember this, for any pressure washer much over 4-5 gpm, you will need a water tank. Trying to run a high GPM pressure washer on tap water isnt good, and often the pump will suck the hose dry :( 

I'll send a photo later, but this was an old lawn care truck. It has three large tanks properly mounted - two 325 gallon tanks and one 250 gallon tank. I figure one for water, one for bleach...maybe set up a proportioner for straight roof application without a mix tank? And the third tank may be for gypsum/lime solution...though I read recently that you're not in the gypsum camp ;)

2 hours ago, viewrenew said:

I'll send a photo later, but this was an old lawn care truck. It has three large tanks properly mounted - two 325 gallon tanks and one 250 gallon tank. I figure one for water, one for bleach...maybe set up a proportioner for straight roof application without a mix tank? And the third tank may be for gypsum/lime solution...though I read recently that you're not in the gypsum camp ;)

Be very very careful with the existing tanks! All will be good for water, but not all will be good for SH :( 

I learned this the hard way, when the tank started coming apart. 

The Pro Portioner imho is a good investment. 

LOL, I have cleaned well over 25,000 roofs in nearly 30 years of doing this and NEVER used Gypsum or Lime. 

Water, and lots of it, applied to the plants as soon as the shit starts dripping on them is all you need.

Always remember, dilution is the answer to pollution :) 

I can tell you why I don't like using Lime and Gypsum, but it is a technical explanation.