Rubber slate roof help

10 posts in this topic

Posted

i was asked today to bid a huge house with a slate roof that's totally black in places. When I met the homeowners they informed me that it had the rubber slate. I've never dealt with this and was wondering if I need to pass on the job or does it clean like a regular slate roof? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Posted

i was asked today to bid a huge house with a slate roof that's totally black in places. When I met the homeowners they informed me that it had the rubber slate. I've never dealt with this and was wondering if I need to pass on the job or does it clean like a regular slate roof? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

I would do a test spot, just to be sure, but it should clean right up.  NEVER say stuff like "I can clean that up easily". When you do, you devalue your services !  Say instead "I don't know, it is pretty bad, let's do a test spot, to see if it can be cleaned" :) 

Posted

I would do a test spot, just to be sure, but it should clean right up.  NEVER say stuff like "I can clean that up easily". When you do, you devalue your services !  Say instead "I don't know, it is pretty bad, let's do a test spot, to see if it can be cleaned" :) 

good advice. I do try the doom and gloom approach a lot. Then act surprised when it cleans perfectly lol. Would you recommend a 50/50 mix with no surfactant? Or plenty since it's steep? Thanks

Posted

This is a small part of it. Has a garage that's almost big as the house to the left side. 

IMG_4026.JPG

Posted

I don't think you have any worries, and it looks like a very well paying job to me !

Posted

Thank you sir. I'll be sure to post pics if I get it. 

I think if you do the test spot, you will get it

Posted

Looks like a piece of cake! Let us know how it goes.

Posted (edited)

Typically no surfactant on slate roofs. I use a 40% mix on steep slate roofs. They come out great like this church roof I cleaned last fall. Clients were wowed!!

17758387_1854137898175142_53018634739144

Edited by ReNew Roof & Exterior cleaning

Posted

Typically no surfactant on slate roofs. I use a 40% mix on steep slate roofs. They come out great like this church roof I cleaned last fall. Clients were wowed!!

17758387_1854137898175142_53018634739144

Surfactants can take the oil out of some slate roofs, so we never use Surfactants on slate roofs either.