Bergman Roof Cleaning

Green Wash from AC Lockyear - Just tried it!

I bought a trailer full of softwashing equipment and chemicals.

Yesterday I tried using the Green Wash instead of Gain. Unless this tile roof was a fluke-I was amazed! It showed cleaned in a minute! It makes a quick, white foam show [ AC says this is not sudsing, but activated SH.

The foam disappears in a minute and clean roof shows. This was barrel tile-half was not too darkened and half was reasonably blackened with algae. I only used 1 coat on it all and it was perfect!

Anyway, after giving AC a hard time at RCIA some years ago [ and not that he didn't deserve at least half of my insults LOL ]

I believe in also giving credit where it is due and this stuff looks like a real plus!

My body can only - barely - handle 2 days of work a week anymore, so I will report back to this post on how the Green Wash works on other roofs, next week. I'm especially interested in shingled roofs too!

I bought a trailer full of softwashing equipment and chemicals.

Yesterday I tried using the Green Wash instead of Gain. Unless this tile roof was a fluke-I was amazed! It showed cleaned in a minute! It makes a quick, white foam show [ AC says this is not sudsing, but activated SH.

The foam disappears in a minute and clean roof shows. This was barrel tile-half was not too darkened and half was reasonably blackened with algae. I only used 1 coat on it all and it was perfect!

Anyway, after giving AC a hard time at RCIA some years ago [ and not that he didn't deserve at least half of my insults LOL ]

I believe in also giving credit where it is due and this stuff looks like a real plus!

My body can only - barely - handle 2 days of work a week anymore, so I will report back to this post on how the Green Wash works on other roofs, next week. I'm especially interested in shingled roofs too!

I haven't used the Green wash yet but I did use Final Wash as it was the only product i could find that was recommended for metal roofs and I have to say it works very well at the end of the job to add a wax like shine to metal roofs, vinyl siding and even rinses down windows pretty nicely. I myself did a weekend seminar with AC and decided to not buy his equipment but built my own. Not that I think his equipment or organization is bad but just not my fit and little pricey. Anyway his soaps do seem to be pretty good and user friendly. 

Interesting, because I also just tried Green Wash. I was in Orlando a couple of weeks ago and bought a 5-gallon.  I haven't done a roof yet (will next week) but tried it on a house wash and liked it.  Main thing I liked is that it's not too sudsy and rinsed nicely.  

Hey Tennessee,

Post back your feelings on using it on a roof.

How much did it cost you for 5 gallons and what's the name of the store in Orlando?

Hello Chuck !

I have done extensive research into surfactants and "boosters" for the SH we all use. First of all, there is no SH Booster, as long as the PH of the SH solution is above PH 10. 

Weak SH solutions may be boosted by things that raise their PH, and very very weak SH Solutions can be boosted by things like Jomax, or a weak acid. 

However, any roof cleaning mix we are likely to use is already over PH 10, so no boosting is really possible.

Now, on to the surfactants :) 

My latest research indicates that the best surfactant to use with the SH would be a NON IONIC one, that is totally unaffected by the SH. 

Here is the MSDS for Green Wash. All it is is some kind of surfactant, as you can see. For all we know, it might be the type of surfactant I suggested ?  Who knows, because they are not required by law to tell :(  http://www.jracenstein.com/mmJRCSTORE/Audio/sds_Green-Wash.pdf

These guys "making" these products basically have them made for them. Some work, some don't. 

What is really needed is someone to sell a NON IONIC Surfactant that is truly sodium hypochlorite resistant. 

Hi there my name is Manu Harrison I'm a newbie here but I have been fascinated by sh and surfactants for the last few years. I live in England and just completed my first trial roof cleaning job It's hard going trying to convince people that non pressure roof cleaning is as efficient as you all have shown me. Anyway we don't have gain ultra here or dawn so most people here would use fairy liquid dish soap. Chris I read once when you looked at the ingredients of this product you said it would be fine to use but only to add it just prior to cleaning. Fairy liquid contains mainly anionic surfactants so I followed this and found an off the supermarket shelf product that was 15-30% anionic and 5% non ionic surfactant. Which has worked fantastically imho. I have read a lot of your posts on surfactants and have spent hours in stores looking at anything from fabric softeners to hair shampoo always striving to find something cheap that was high in non ionic surfactants. I believe I came across a product that may really help us in England I will purchase some tomorrow and get the details back to you. This a label off what I used on this clay tile roof available in all supermarkets in the UK. 

IMG_20170503_190925.jpg

IMG_20170428_191433.jpg

IMG_20170503_190644.jpg

Hi there my name is Manu Harrison I'm a newbie here but I have been fascinated by sh and surfactants for the last few years. I live in England and just completed my first trial roof cleaning job It's hard going trying to convince people that non pressure roof cleaning is as efficient as you all have shown me. Anyway we don't have gain ultra here or dawn so most people here would use fairy liquid dish soap. Chris I read once when you looked at the ingredients of this product you said it would be fine to use but only to add it just prior to cleaning. Fairy liquid contains mainly anionic surfactants so I followed this and found an off the supermarket shelf product that was 15-30% anionic and 5% non ionic surfactant. Which has worked fantastically imho. I have read a lot of your posts on surfactants and have spent hours in stores looking at anything from fabric softeners to hair shampoo always striving to find something cheap that was high in non ionic surfactants. I believe I came across a product that may really help us in England I will purchase some tomorrow and get the details back to you. This a label off what I used on this clay tile roof available in all supermarkets in the UK. 

Remember, a NON IONIC Surfactant is best, as long as it is Stable with the SH.

Hey Tennessee,

Post back your feelings on using it on a roof.

How much did it cost you for 5 gallons and what's the name of the store in Orlando?

Will do. I cleaned a tile roof today but since it was tile I used my house wash soap instead. I've got three shingle roof cleanings next week so I'll be using the Green Wash.

I bought it directly from the SoftWash Systems office in Sanford, FL. I don't think it was any cheaper than anywhere else, but since I was there it saved me shipping. 

Hello Chuck !

I have done extensive research into surfactants and "boosters" for the SH we all use. First of all, there is no SH Booster, as long as the PH of the SH solution is above PH 10. 

Weak SH solutions may be boosted by things that raise their PH, and very very weak SH Solutions can be boosted by things like Jomax, or a weak acid. 

However, any roof cleaning mix we are likely to use is already over PH 10, so no boosting is really possible.

Now, on to the surfactants :) 

My latest research indicates that the best surfactant to use with the SH would be a NON IONIC one, that is totally unaffected by the SH. 

Here is the MSDS for Green Wash. All it is is some kind of surfactant, as you can see. For all we know, it might be the type of surfactant I suggested ?  Who knows, because they are not required by law to tell :(  http://www.jracenstein.com/mmJRCSTORE/Audio/sds_Green-Wash.pdf

These guys "making" these products basically have them made for them. Some work, some don't. 

What is really needed is someone to sell a NON IONIC Surfactant that is truly sodium hypochlorite resistant. 

I know you have always been on top of the whole non-pressure systems and I doubt many people have come here and not learned from you! I know I have learned a lot!

That's why in my post I said "Unless this tile roof was a fluke"

It may well have not been all that I felt it was, in the moment. LOL

I also said "AC says this is not sudsing, but activated SH"

Lets face it, AC SAYS a LOT! LOL

I need to research it more before I try it on a shingled roof and that's what I have done since that tile roof I posted about.

One of his products said DO NOT USE ON SHINGLED ROOFS, but in my jumping around researching, I lost it!

I also have a product of his, that came on this trailer of stuff I bought called "ROOF WASH" I don't see it on his site, so I don't know what to do with it, as of now?

Thanks Chris for you "always" informative info!

YOU ARE DA MAN!

AC is, well, that's another subject! LOL

I am sure some will disagree with me on this but I think the bleach does all the work and the choice of soap is more personal preference than anything else. Some smell better, some cost less and some are easier to buy locally but they all help the bleach stick on the roof and that's about it. 

I think if your mix is not cleaning as well as you think it should you need to add more bleach, not look for some magic potion with a fancy name. 

And why in the world do some people think a soap that doesn't suds up is better than one that does? 

Edited by Shingle Brite

I am sure some will disagree with me on this but I think the bleach does all the work and the choice of soap is more personal preference than anything else. Some smell better, some cost less and some are easier to buy locally but they all help the bleach stick on the roof and that's about it. 

I think if your mix is not cleaning as well as you think it should you need to add more bleach, not look for some magic potion with a fancy name. 

And why in the world do some people think a soap that doesn't suds up is better than one that does? 

Yes, the SH does the work, the soaps help it stick, but only the Non Ionic type of surfactant improves the penetration of the SH into the algae! 

Yes, the SH does the work, the soaps help it stick, but only the Non Ionic type of surfactant improves the penetration of the SH into the algae! 

Hi there Chris the other day I mentioned that I had been searching for Cheap products here in England that contain a higher percentage of non ionic surfactant I found this in Asda wallmart here are the ingredients on the packaging. I'm guessing that because it's fabric conditioner it should be OK with sh I need to dig deeper to understand different types of non ionic surfactants and there suitability for sh penetration into algae. Any advice on weather you think this could be suitable for algae cleaning would be really appreciated. Thanks Manu the search continues for the super surfactant. 

IMG_20170511_185916.jpg

I would like to see your source to confirm this is fact.  No offense intended to you at all, but roof cleaners and pressure washers seem to repeat everything they hear and read as fact without every really knowing if it's true or not. 

I would like to see your source to confirm this is fact.  No offense intended to you at all, but roof cleaners and pressure washers seem to repeat everything they hear and read as fact without every really knowing if it's true or not. 

I used to always post my sources, don't know why I didn't this time. Sometimes, I will Google stuff for hours at a time, to get the answers I seek. I think this is the reason I can't seem to find the source of my claims about the Non Ionic surfactant being the best for our cleaning purposes. The original search terms often change, by clicking on other Google related searches.

I did uncover either a patent or a scientific paper that found the Non Ionic Surfactant to be best for algae penetration, when used with SH.