RIRAY

Monument cleaning

Hi folks, I got an estimate to do on a  a local veterans memorial. It consists of a brick walkway, granite benches and large granite stones with metal plaques attached. There is lichen black mold as well as some moss growing on the surfaces. The customer does not want me to use a power washer.  I thought that a house wash mix and a hard bristle brush, then rinse. Does anyone have any suggestions. I want to do this job at cost so I'm not going to make any money. It's the right thing to do for me. Has anyone done work on monuments?

Thanks,

Ray 

We have done a few monuments. We used: D/2 Biological Solution. (It is the same chemical used when washing the Washington Monument) It actually gets the monument cleaner as time passes, however its a little high on cost . For the extremely tough stains we also used our house wash mix and lightly brushed with a brush as well. All of this with absolutely no pressure and they came out incredible! Client had previously had cleaned by another contractor and they stated it wasn't anywhere as nice as we made it. Best to ask what chemicals the site permits. With monuments you have to be extremely gentle, so be patient and take your time.

Edited by h2o spray
wrong picture

Hi folks, I got an estimate to do on a  a local veterans memorial. It consists of a brick walkway, granite benches and large granite stones with metal plaques attached. There is lichen black mold as well as some moss growing on the surfaces. The customer does not want me to use a power washer.  I thought that a house wash mix and a hard bristle brush, then rinse. Does anyone have any suggestions. I want to do this job at cost so I'm not going to make any money. It's the right thing to do for me. Has anyone done work on monuments?

Thanks,

Ray 

Are you sure it's mold?

Ray, the vast majority of our business is roofs (by design), but we have a Project Management Company that hires us for all kinds of things, so we do what we can to keep them happy.  And we've done some 'monuments' for them.  'Monument' in this case, refers to the stone/granite/masonry entrances at sub-divisions and other properties.  We've used standard roof mix with very good success.  Just like with a roof, I prep them that lichen etc will take time to decompose, and at the same time, remind them that we do not use any pressure, zero chances of scarring the material.

There may be better ways, but this works for us.  And it's very cost effective, AND the OP has been very good as well.

Let us know how it turns out and take some before and after pics!  (I have some somewhere I'll try to dig up too.)

Edited by Roof Cleaning Virginia

Are you sure it's mold?

thanks for your replies. yes, it has mostly lichen and black mold as well as moss in the brick pavers. 

I did not spelling out well enough , but the stones have metal plaques attached to them I am very concerned about damaging the with the mix.

any ideas on how to protect them?