PeakOfPerfection

We Now Offer Price Pumps!

I am proud to announce I now offer the Price Air Diaphragm Pumps to our clients. In the past few years, I've rebuilt just about every pump brand there is. And while market conditions changed and we no longer offer rebuilt pumps, that experience of taking apart and putting hundreds of different pumps through the test rig taught me quite a lot about the differences between them. Of all those different pumps, there is only one...one single pump out of the hundreds that I kept for myself...it is a Price. Price is a U. S. company who is well known in pump circles. They make the Cadillac of pumps. The valving and drive system on the Price is different than anything else out there. Their air valve system is completely non metallic and stall free. It offers nearly unsurpassed efficiency, translating to far more output or more output for less CFM. This translates to more distance at the hose end, or less fuel usage on your compressor. I've chosen two models that hit the absolute sweet spot, the 1" and the 3/4". Of those, the 3/4" model is a true standout in the AODD field. Most 3/4" air diaphragm pumps are simply 1/2" pumps with a bigger manifold tacked on. They typically offer little more flow than their 1/2" counterparts...if any increase at all. So a 15 GPM 1/2" may turn into a 17 or 18 GPM 3/4".

Not so with the Price. Their 3/4" pump delivers a whopping 27 GPM with an astonishingly low 15 CFM of airflow. That is a 56% increase in efficiency over the competition. In addition, these pumps are ideal for contractors who clean high lift buildings above 3 stories, with the 3/4" and 1" versions easily handling head lifts up to 250 ft. This higher pressure capability, higher efficiency and higher flow capability translates to the one thing that every single roof cleaner asks about...distance. The ability to handle higher head pressures means the pump is less likely to stall when being restricted, and with many guys running limited CFM compressors, upgrading to a higher efficiency pump is one way to upgrade your system without having to upgrade your air.

Now...I'm not going to beat around the bush, these are not a $399 Ebay special (I get calls on those all the time...usually along the line of "It stopped working, what do I do?!?").
For a busy roof cleaning operation, The Price Pumps are a good investment because of their higher performance, longevity and efficiency.

I am are excited to have them in our lineup and offer them to our clients. They are now available for order on my website under the Pump Heading.

aod_75_p_med_hr.jpeg

aod1_p_left_med_hr.jpeg
Edited by PeakOfPerfection

How do these compare to the Sandpiper pumps that you spoke highly of?  

That was the very first thing that came into my head too! 

Also, what will the availability of maintenance parts, like diaphragms, etc. be? 

How do these compare to the Sandpiper pumps that you spoke highly of?  

They are the next step up. Primarily in efficiency on the 1" pump. If you have a BIG compressor, the big Sandpiper S1F is a hell of a pump. But the Price will move the same amount of fluid for literally half the air.

In the 3/4" size the Price is vastly superior in output. There is literally no other pump like that particular one. It hits all the hot buttons. 

They have parts in stock...trust me, as a rebuilder, it was one of the first things I asked when bringing them on. 

Edited by PeakOfPerfection

They are the next step up. Primarily in efficiency on the 1" pump. If you have a BIG compressor, the big Sandpiper S1F is a hell of a pump. But the Price will move the same amount of fluid for literally half the air.

In the 3/4" size the Price is vastly superior in output. There is literally no other pump like that particular one. It hits all the hot buttons. 

They have parts in stock...trust me, as a rebuilder, it was one of the first things I asked when bringing them on. 

I don't recall you ever mentioning Price brand pumps before. 

I don't recall you ever mentioning Price brand pumps before. 

I was selling rebuilt used pumps before. Here is the thing...used Price pumps are rare as hens teeth, especially in plastic. They just don't show up used, so they weren't my market. In the several years I did pump rebuilds, I only ever ran across two, versus hundreds of AROs and some Sandpipers. And I actually did mention it in one post and said ai was keeping it for myself. Which I did. The other went to a client in Canada who is using it for high lift projects and he raves about it. I had a customer who needed to clean a 10 story building and we needed a pump that would handle high lift pressures without much air. Price was the choice and I figured, why not offer them to my clients, so we struck a deal. 

I still like the Sandpiper S1F pump, it is a beast. If you have a decent compressor, it is the only one capable of matching the output of the Proce in sheer volume. But I've come to appreciate the benefits of air efficiency, which I didn't pay as much attention to until we started trying to engineer systems liike the OutLaw-C.  These pumps allow somebody running an ARO, Sandpiper, or Yamada 1/2" to upgrade flows without adding CFM. It also allows somebody to use a smaller compressor but achieve higher flows, distances and lifts. Hell, you can actually run a 1" price off a Harbor Freight compressor...literally no other 1" pump will do that without stalling. 

Price Pumps are an awesome American Made Pump Company. They are located in California, and very big on making acid resistant pumps, for the soil out in California.

I have always felt that Price was one of, if not THE very best pump made for what we do. It is great to see Kevin giving them the exposure they deserve, in our industry.

I am still running 12v pumps for roof cleaning right now, but this is good news. I most certainly will switch over to aodd pumps in the future. It's just a matter of time. I am watching closely what happens with these things, so I can make a good informed decision about which roof cleaning pumps I want. Thanks for sharing!

I have a customer in Canada who just cleaned 13,000 sq ft of apartment complex roof with a Price 1" pump I sold him. On a single 20 CFM compressor it took him 1/2 an hour. His comment is that he only had the ball valve open 1/2 way the entire time on an 020 nozzle. THAT is called productivity! It is what a higher output pump brings to the game...lots of flow and distance when you *need* it and low flow rates when you don't. 

Are you able to get these in kynar/viton or only poly?

The 1" is available in Kynar. The 3/4" is only available in Poly. 

That being said, the Poly they use is rated for 20% SH and it is pretty thick. You'll likely get a lot of years out of it before it becomes a problem. 

I was looking at your Outlaw D skid. I guess I need a reel, hose, fittings, and the compressor? Can you help me out so I know what I would need to run that puppy at 3/4" hose just one gun? I don't mind my 12v, but struggling to reach the ridge line on a metal roof today really tested my patience. I need to nail down total pricing for the switch so I can start budgeting for it. 

I was looking at your Outlaw D skid. I guess I need a reel, hose, fittings, and the compressor? Can you help me out so I know what I would need to run that puppy at 3/4" hose just one gun? I don't mind my 12v, but struggling to reach the ridge line on a metal roof today really tested my patience. I need to nail down total pricing for the switch so I can start budgeting for it. 

Sure. You *Could start out with an Outlaw-B and the compressor with your current 1/2" hose and see how it sprays. If you hit what you need to hit with the higher output, you are golden. If it is *juuust* enough, then upgrade to 5/8" hose and be happy. All you'd need is the ubiquitous Harbor Freight Gas Wheelbarrow compressor, $499 at any Harbor Freight location near you and a few bolts for the frame. 

If it turns you you need more, just add a second pump...it is already for it. Add your 3/4" hose. Lori at PWP carries the Flextech hose, that is my choice in the larger hose sizes. Good stuff. Will run about $360 for 200'.

Reel...for the big hose, I'd go Hannay. It ain't cheap but it is the right reel to handle the big stuff. You got to figure about $900 for a big manifoldness Hannay chem reel. Yeah, painful I know, but that reel will last a LONG LONG time. 

What I'd do then is to plumb the system so that you can run one pumps through the 1/2" hose for smaller roofs and when you get the big tall monsters, switch a connector or a valve, bring on the twins and the big hose and spray the bejeezus out of it. I designed the systems to be expandable and flexible this way.  

3/4 hose IMO is overkill. We went down to 5/8 its a lot easier to carry and really if you are using a 3/4 ball valve there is not a huge difference. 5/8 is plenty (we ran 3/4 for 1 year and 5/8 for 1 year). As far as systems go just build one that fits your needs. It will be cheaper, you will know how to fix it if it breaks, and it fits your exact needs. Before you buy stuff make sure you do your research so you don't overpay for products. There are a TON of places to find pumps, hose, chemicals, fittings, so don't get in the mind set that this is the end all be all.  For reels you can order direct from hannay or from John Cloud from gorilla reels they are not as heavy duty but they are not bad its a good cheaper option. 

3/4 hose IMO is overkill. We went down to 5/8 its a lot easier to carry and really if you are using a 3/4 ball valve there is not a huge difference. 5/8 is plenty (we ran 3/4 for 1 year and 5/8 for 1 year). As far as systems go just build one that fits your needs. It will be cheaper, you will know how to fix it if it breaks, and it fits your exact needs. Before you buy stuff make sure you do your research so you don't overpay for products. There are a TON of places to find pumps, hose, chemicals, fittings, so don't get in the mind set that this is the end all be all.  For reels you can order direct from hannay or from John Cloud from gorilla reels they are not as heavy duty but they are not bad its a good cheaper option. 

Generally, the higher the flow of your pump, the more loss you get with smaller hose diameters.  

Generally, the higher the flow of your pump, the more loss you get with smaller hose diameters.  

the flow is slightly less the distance is the same. The bigger the hose the more flow but I am saying its not that much of a difference IMO to carry around a 3/4 hose than a 5/8 hose. We did it for a year and 3/4 is a real pain to carry around all day. Once we went to 5/8 there was not a huge difference ( there was a difference but very small) it was easier to move around and at the end of the day I was not complete beat. Some guys say 3/4 is nothing to carry around however I am a young guy a former US Marine and it got old real quick unless I am just a huge girl. If you look at the weight of 300 FT of 3/4 hose then add in the the amount of weight of water it can hold its a ton of weight to be dragging around for 8 hours a day for a little more volume. Keep in mind 90% of our houses are 2 story with a walkout basement and you cannot walk the roof. So I am all for distance and volume but I just did not see the big of a difference.

@Curb Appeal Pros LLC 

What size pump are you feeding the 5/8 with, and what kind of reach are you getting?

I'm still planning on going with a 1" pump, but keep going back and forth between 5/8 and 3/4 hose. I refuse to work off if anything taller than a 28' ladder, and many of the roofs in my area are way big with really unique roof lines and (due to mountainous terrain) really weird approach angles. For instance today I did a roof where one end of the gutter line was as 10', the other end (about 80' away) I couldn't reach with my 28' ladder. Oddly enough, if I had been able to shoot 60 feet or so, I could have done that high end from the ground.....(should have taken pictures)

Some say you'll stall a 1" pump with anything less than a 3/4 hose. I'm planning on going with an All-Flo, in case that affects your answer at all.

Reach is my number one priority, and, of course, flow+restriction=reach, right?

Thank you! 

Sure. You *Could start out with an Outlaw-B and the compressor with your current 1/2" hose and see how it sprays. If you hit what you need to hit with the higher output, you are golden. If it is *juuust* enough, then upgrade to 5/8" hose and be happy. All you'd need is the ubiquitous Harbor Freight Gas Wheelbarrow compressor, $499 at any Harbor Freight location near you and a few bolts for the frame. 

If it turns you you need more, just add a second pump...it is already for it. Add your 3/4" hose. Lori at PWP carries the Flextech hose, that is my choice in the larger hose sizes. Good stuff. Will run about $360 for 200'.

Reel...for the big hose, I'd go Hannay. It ain't cheap but it is the right reel to handle the big stuff. You got to figure about $900 for a big manifoldness Hannay chem reel. Yeah, painful I know, but that reel will last a LONG LONG time. 

What I'd do then is to plumb the system so that you can run one pumps through the 1/2" hose for smaller roofs and when you get the big tall monsters, switch a connector or a valve, bring on the twins and the big hose and spray the bejeezus out of it. I designed the systems to be expandable and flexible this way.  

I will likely try it out with my 1/2" hose, but I definitely want to go 5/8" minimum asap. I've pushed the limits of what is possible with 12v and 1/2" hose. We do some pretty big tile roofs and the reach is a big big help!  

I am definitely looking at going hannay with no manifold for the reel. That might have to wait, but it's going to happen. 

So for now, all I basically need is the skid, the compressor, my choice of hose, are there other parts? Do I need a dryer for the air or any other items I should budget for? 

@Curb Appeal Pros LLC 

What size pump are you feeding the 5/8 with, and what kind of reach are you getting?

I'm still planning on going with a 1" pump, but keep going back and forth between 5/8 and 3/4 hose. I refuse to work off if anything taller than a 28' ladder, and many of the roofs in my area are way big with really unique roof lines and (due to mountainous terrain) really weird approach angles. For instance today I did a roof where one end of the gutter line was as 10', the other end (about 80' away) I couldn't reach with my 28' ladder. Oddly enough, if I had been able to shoot 60 feet or so, I could have done that high end from the ground.....(should have taken pictures)

Some say you'll stall a 1" pump with anything less than a 3/4 hose. I'm planning on going with an All-Flo, in case that affects your answer at all.

Reach is my number one priority, and, of course, flow+restriction=reach, right?

Thank you! 

So ive NEVER once stalled a pump due to icing or to small of a hose. Like I said we ran 3/4 for a year and 5/8 and we love the 5/8. Yes you will get a little more flow and volume out of a bigger hose but if I had to guess I would say less than 3 feet of distance. If your worried about distance chance the size of tips your using to something smaller. That's by far the easiest way to gain distance and adjust your system just like when using a pressure washer. I would say 90% of our houses are 2 story houses with walk out basements so they are pretty tall and we don't run into any issues. Also we have 300 ft of hose on a reel. We get much better results with a shorter hose. I hope that answers your questions. 

I've had a ton of experience with guys stalling 1" pump with icing. I probably took 30-40 calls and emails on pump icing and stalling issues last summer in all different size ranges. 

The higher the amount of CFM, the more water you will make. Simple physics. Depending on the pump air end design, you can definitely run into icing and stalling issues. 1" pumps run high CFM's and every mfg will tell you to run clean, DRY air into your pump. 

Also, putting a smaller nozzle on may give you more distance...or it may give you LESS. It depends on the pump and the efficiency curve. 

The smaller the restriction is, the more the head pressure will rise. The higher the head pressure rises, the more CFM you require to overcome that pressure. At some point the flow starts to decrease. You may not have enough air to maintain the output flow and the pump may even even stall.

@PeakOfPerfection  Kevin, I didn't see any info on your site about the 3/4" Price pumps. What are the specs and pricing for one of those?

Thank You!

The 3/4" pump is off the menu for the time being. I noticed some discrepancies in the specs and contacted them. They discovered I was right and the specification are NOT conrrect. I had a meeting with the VP of Price last week and he apologizes. They completely missed the errors over the last decade and if you look at their website, the pump specs are currently not there as they re-test.  

So...for anybody looking at a 3/4" Price, I can currently sell the 1" Price in Poly for the SAME COST. And yes, the specs on that pump ARE correct. This is a smoking deal. They also said you cannot stall their pumps. A 1" Pump with a 2.5 CFM air compressor will prove that this coming week.