PowerShine Property Services

Simple Roof Knowledge

I know there is a lot of people that search these forums for knowledge and advice. There is a lot of you that probably already know all this but some of you might not. For those that dont this information is a must if you are working on roofs. There is nothing worse than standing there with a customer pointing at the roof saying " that part, over there, Yeah where that piece meets that piece, you know the pointy part". For me I want to know everything there is about what I do. Just knowing these simple things could be a deciding factor whether you get the job or not. Recently there was a part of the roof I couldn't remember so I took some time to refresh my memory. Now I am passing it on to those that don't know.

house.gif

That's a great post Steven!  Knowledge builds integrity and trust with our clients.

Ironically, there are a few other basic things missing from that diagram, including but not limited to, the rake, ridge vents and pipe collars to name a few.  Still a great post.

Good point, I searched for the best picture that made it easy to identify things. I think they should have put rake instead of barge boards in the above pic. I am sure it is hard to fit all the roof terms in one pic. Hear is another one. 

terms-house.jpg

I agree. This is a great post about common roofing terms. I am familiar with most, but we have a few roofers that we are the exclusive cleaning company for. They hire us to clean roofs, or to clean up their client's property after they do roof replacement. 

I will admit that I always considered "barge boards" to be fascia. It is interesting that there is a separate term for them when they are on the gabled ends.

I agree. This is a great post about common roofing terms. I am familiar with most, but we have a few roofers that we are the exclusive cleaning company for. They hire us to clean roofs, or to clean up their client's property after they do roof replacement. 

I will admit that I always considered "barge boards" to be fascia. It is interesting that there is a separate term for them when they are on the gabled ends.

I agree, I was calling them fascia as well but since have learned a more known term is rake boards. I think barge boards is more of an older term. I could be wrong tho. This is what google says...

.. A rake board. It's not just what you use to clear your lawn of fallen leaves. On a gable roof, the rake board, or fascia, is the slanting edge at the end wall of the house. 

Indeed very informative post! This kind of information is specially significant for the home owners who must be familiar with these terms, this will equip them enough to talk and negotiate confidently with roof cleaners and roofers.