Any suggestions on a replacement pump for this 12V 7.0GPM FLOJET PENTAFLEX?

These are pricey and not easy or fast to get ahold of. If at all.

Wiring for dummy.....

Apparently I'm m not connecting something correctly.

The switch doesn't function but will trip and pump continues to run.

The Flojet was a bit different than this FB 

I hooked up

battery leads to switch 

positive from pump to switch

Negative from pump to switch.

whats the obvious thing I'm missing? Quit laughing!

IMG_4896.JPG

I haven't used a FB for a while (we use 5850s) so someone keep me honest here.  There should only be only two exposed wires on the FB, a black one and a red one. It looks like you have third wire (black) coming from the relay area?  Did you disconnect something perhaps?  If so, put it back like the way it came and then:

Red wire from FB to switch, then switch wire to positive battery terminal

Black wire (original loose one) straight to negative battery terminal.

Here's a better photo. 

The extra wire was from the old Flojet ,don't think it serves any purpose with this pump that I know of.

Dont understand why pump will work but switch doesn't.

IMG_4898.JPG

IMG_4898.JPG

I haven't used a FB for a while (we use 5850s) so someone keep me honest here.  There should only be only two exposed wires on the FB, a black one and a red one. It looks like you have third wire (black) coming from the relay area?  Did you disconnect something perhaps?  If so, put it back like the way it came and then:

Red wire from FB to switch, then switch wire to positive battery terminal

Black wire (original loose one) straight to negative battery terminal.

I connected it all like that but still the same. Obviously I'm missing something but... I replaced the switch just in case. No change.

That's much more clear.

Black ground wires connected together ("Leads from battery connected to "Neg from pump"

"POS from pump" to terminal on the switch.

OTHER terminal on switch to positive battery terminal

What is NOT clear is if you have 12v to the switch through the metal firewall.  If so, then the 'line side' terminal may always be hot. In which case, wire the pump to the load side.  If you have a VOM you can figure out it pretty easily.

When I ran switches (I don't any longer, they just corrode and fail at the worst opportune time) I simply ran a single pole switch in series with the positive lead.  You'll figure it out.  :-)

@Central Iowa Roof Cleaning has a youtube video that shows how to wire that pump through a solenoid, and you'll never have to buy or replace another relay again. I would pm him and ask for his help.

There ARE supposed to be three wires (one comes from the pressure switch) but I'm not sure how to wire them  without using the solenoid.

(The one he shows in his video is a 7870-101E SB.....Not sure what's different about the 101Y SB....Sorry about that)

Edited by Atlas1

There's are only two leads to wire.  I ran those things for years.  The hot lead from the motor does indeed route to the pressure switch, then from the other side of the pressure switch back to the battery.  Once the pre-set pressure is reached, it "opens" the pressure switch interrupting the 12v.

With Dwelltech, I think it's something with his external switch as the pump will run, but the switch doesn't shut it off.  He'll have it figured out in the morning.  :-)

BTW - I heard that Bruce's solenoid solution that you mention works great!

The solenoid mod does work great....I love it! I guess I should have mentioned, as part of that mod, you change some of the pressure switch wiring around, so you end up with three wires instead of just two. It's hard to explain without watching Bruce's video, but it works, and works very well. 

I just did it this way with a battery disconnect switch,seems fine.  Thanks for all the input! Still don't get the other one but oh well.

IMG_4899.JPG

These systems can be a little confusing however, when running a relay or solenoid switch, you would run the line power to the input of the solenoid switch. On the same terminal run a power wire to the pumps pressure switch "line side". Take the other red wire which generally goes straight to the pump and run it back to the solenoids switch terminal( small post ). Run a hot wire off the other side( output terminal ) of the solenoid and connect it to the red wire of the pump.

The pump switch needs to be "hot" at all times. When the pressure against the switch drops and closes the switch contacts, it energizes the switch terminal of the solenoid which allows the higher current load to pass through the solenoid and go to the pumps hot wire.

Mike