coastal1

Well fed water supply taking a toll on your equipment?

Ever noticed sand in your buffer tank and wondered how it got there?

Ever wondered even with rinsing your equipment thoroughly why doesn't it last longer?

Does the region you work in have a lot of "well" fed homes built on sand?

Ever wondered about the quality of the water supply you're feeding your pump?

It's probably safe to say, A lot of us who've been in the business for a good while already know this however, for those who don't, you may want to give this some thought!

Using a buffer tank as an example, if you find sand in the bottom of the tank, keep in mind, what you see in the tank is what fell out of suspension. How much stayed in suspension and was pumped through your system?

Keep in mind,  "fine" sand will pass through a 50 and 80 micron filter/strainer.

Point is, if you work in an area which has primarily "well" fed homes built on sand, you might want to consider installing a good filtration system before your manifold or pump system.

I run a large capacity whirlpool filter on my system and you would be surprised to see what it traps.

One other point for any newbies out there, "Never" use a customers garden hose. Along with not being professional, you don't know what may be inside that hose!!!

Mike

Also, for those of you who use booster pumps to rinse... running a booster pump on a well isn't the best idea. It can potentially damage the well pump and if the well doesn't have a large capacity holding tank, you can run the well down to nothing pretty rapidly. 

This is especially a problem if it is a shared well. 

Excellent point Peakofperfection. Most folks may not give this any thought. A lot of homes I work on are well fed so I'm use to this problem. One of the first things I do is run a GPM test so I can determine what the "safe" GPM draw will be on a given well system. The second point is the "shared" well situation. I don't see this very often however, when I work in an area where they don't have a lot of money, I look for "well" heads sticking out of the ground. If the homes are really close to one another and I don't see a well head at the home next door, I ask the potential customer. One job I did about 16 years ago had a shared well and in an effort to increase pressure, they had run 1/2" plumbing to each of the homes.

Needless to say, I couldn't get enough water from the home I was working on and had to run a second line from the home next door to get enough flow.

Mike