Hey guys, check out the many different scents of Gain!

Gain is an awesome roof cleaning surfactant. It is cheap, easy to get anywhere, and chlorine stable.

We must all play with it, to find the very best one, as far as the scent goes. 

I have tried it and it did mask the smell.

Cool! We need to find out WHAT scent of the Gain is the best for hiding the roof cleaning chemicals smell. 

As you know, it don't matter much how it smells in the bottle. What matters is how it smells, once it is mixed with Chlorine. 

It is kind of hard to believe that you can simplly go into any grocery or Dollar store, and come out with a chlorine stable surfactant, ready to dump into our tanks. 

Guest Diamond Roof Cleaning LLC

Honestly spend a little more and use fresh wash or green wash or roof snot. This gain should only be used in a pinch when you run out of the proffesional grade soaps.

It is hard to believe that the Liquid Gain IS Ammonyx LO !

Actually, it is a blend of Ammonyx, and Sodium Laurel Sulfate, BOTH Chlorine Compatable Surfactants!

Plus, it has a strong fragrance.

We need more field testing of it, compared to other surfactants, but initial results have been real positive, so far.

Remember, the thickness (viscosity) of Ammonyx is usually improved by mixing it with a second surfactant ?

I have never compared pure ammonyx vs Gain, as far as thickness goes, but in theory, it should be as thick, or slightly thicker, since it is a blend.

AS far as surfactant POWER goes, I would BET that the second surfactant in Gain is more powerful then Ammonyx alone!

Proctor and Gamble, the creators of Gain, want to make the BEST dishsoap they can. After all, if it dont clean well for Mama, she will not buy it again ?

They decided not to use pure Ammonyx in Gain, and went to a surfactant blend instead. Blends of surfactants are almost always superior in sheer cleaning power, to a non blend surfactant.

It is hard to believe that the Liquid Gain IS Ammonyx LO !

Actually, it is a blend of Ammonyx, and Sodium Laurel Sulfate, BOTH Chlorine Compatable Surfactants!

Plus, it has a strong fragrance.

We need more field testing of it, compared to other surfactants, but initial results have been real positive, so far.

Remember, the thickness (viscosity) of Ammonyx is usually improved by mixing it with a second surfactant ?

I have never compared pure ammonyx vs Gain, as far as thickness goes, but in theory, it should be as thick, or slightly thicker, since it is a blend.

AS far as surfactant POWER goes, I would BET that the second surfactant in Gain is more powerful then Ammonyx alone!

Proctor and Gamble, the creators of Gain, want to make the BEST dishsoap they can. After all, if it dont clean well for Mama, she will not buy it again ?

They decided not to use pure Ammonyx in Gain, and went to a surfactant blend instead. Blends of surfactants are almost always superior in sheer cleaning power, to a non blend surfactant.

I have a friend that has 55 gal barrels and 5 gal jugs full of liquid detergent. I have personally seen one shipping container full of 5 gal jugs...I have not seen the drums but have no reason to doubt him.

They all come from P&G....who makes Gain. P&G is HQ'd about a 20 min drive from here. He is big in the flea market business and buys bulk lots of just about anything and sells them to flea marketers. According to him, these were batches that the color was off and failed QC or samples from batch runs saved for a fixed period for legal reasons. They paid someone to haul it all off and he bought it all.

It's too cold to test here right now but I was going to test this coming spring.

I have a friend that has 55 gal barrels and 5 gal jugs full of liquid detergent. I have personally seen one shipping container full of 5 gal jugs...I have not seen the drums but have no reason to doubt him.

They all come from P&G....who makes Gain. P&G is HQ'd about a 20 min drive from here. He is big in the flea market business and buys bulk lots of just about anything and sells them to flea marketers. According to him, these were batches that the color was off and failed QC or samples from batch runs saved for a fixed period for legal reasons. They paid someone to haul it all off and he bought it all.

It's too cold to test here right now but I was going to test this coming spring.

Good idea Barry! It is not true that you absolutely need a chlorine stable surfactant for roof cleaning, as long as you use all your mix that day. 

We have roof cleaning trucks with dual 300 gallon pre mixed chemical tanks, one for tile, and one for shingle. We can not afford to burn up our mix with a non chlorine compatible surfactant.

But for those only doing one roof, and/or making solution up on the job, most any soap is fine, and that's the truth.

I feel soaps help lubricate the pumps we use for roof cleaning, and that is a good thing.

If you are using dawn, switch to the gain. I see there are some cleaning companies out there that are pushing one of the things that they say make them different is the statement; " Our products do not give off cancer causing agents like chloromines and halothormes." Some dishwashing liquids contain ammonia, which when mixed with sodium hypochlorite will release chloromines.

been using the gain.. so far its nice, but i feel like we have to use more of it then roof snot to get the same results.. the masking of smell is great though! so i am going to keep playing till i find a good mix....

been using the gain.. so far its nice, but i feel like we have to use more of it then roof snot to get the same results.. the masking of smell is great though! so i am going to keep playing till i find a good mix....

Try MIXING the Gain  with the Roof Snot JC. 

You can also play with thickening the Gain (or the roof snot) by adding some table salt to then, and stirring.

Play with a 12 oz glass full first, then add a few tablespoons of salt, stir, and be amazed at what happens.

Be careful, if you add too MUCH Salt, it will lose the thickness you gained.

I first started out using the original Pinalen in the green container with Am Lo. After experimenting with Gain, it seems to do quite well so now I just use Gain. For really steep roofs, I still add Am Lo to the mix.

The odor hasn't been an issue with any of my customers. A couple of them have stated that it smells likes a pool. I replied "Yes like a clean algae-free pool."  

Chris, I tried adding salt to the Am Lo and it didn't seem to thicken it. I started with a small amount of salt and kept increasing it but with no noticeable difference.

No more Gain for me, Only if its needed. To many bubbles, It makes the homeowner nervous.  It's Pinalen Max me. Every home owner comes out and says how nice the house smells. I use it for House and Roof washing. For my roof mix I add a splash of the Gain. This is a new product and hard to find. Cheap too. $6.00 for 2 Gallons. Mix 1 gallon to a 100 mix. Big time $avings over a year compared to some of the other stuff out there.

MAX_floral.png

I am unable to FIND it Art, and did not care for the original Pinalen, what flavor is this ?

I first started out using the original Pinalen in the green container with Am Lo. After experimenting with Gain, it seems to do quite well so now I just use Gain. For really steep roofs, I still add Am Lo to the mix.

The odor hasn't been an issue with any of my customers. A couple of them have stated that it smells likes a pool. I replied "Yes like a clean algae-free pool."  

Chris, I tried adding salt to the Am Lo and it didn't seem to thicken it. I started with a small amount of salt and kept increasing it but with no noticeable difference.

Did you try it in a small glass ?  

That's the Floral Chris. Its a new Product so only some Home Depots have it. You need to go online to see what stores have it. This is all I use, Hope it stays around.

I wonder if Lowe's has it, because I do not like Home Depot.

The store close to me nearly arrested my Mom, and my Grandmother when they were shopping there!

My Mom's hearing aid set off the store security scanner, and then they forced both my Mom and her Mother (who had Alzheimers) to go to a room for shoplifters in the back of the store.

My Mom refused to be searched, and was forced to wait for the Cops with her Mom, who pooped her pants, because of her Illness.

I freaking Hate Home Depot Art, and only because my Mom is so Catholic, did she refuse to Sue them!

Chris you may be able to order it from Family Dollar. They carry the old Green Pinalen. I sent you 2 gallons today, you should have it by Friday. Every home owner comes out and says how nice the place smells. This Stuff Rocks and its cheap Too!

Cool! I can't wait to try it! Thanks!

Here is the msds for Pinalen http://alen.com.mx/alenamericas/MSDS/Pinalen/MSDS%20Pinalen%20Natural%20Essences.pdf

It does say to avoid Oxidizers (like SH), but this may be a "cover your ass" warning.

It does have 10 percent Isopropyl Alcohol in it, and 5% Pine Oil, as well as 5% Glycol Ether (antifreeze)

Because of the Isopropyl Alcohol content, it will be best to make some roof cleaning mix up with it, and use it right away. It may degrade the mix, if left too long.

Hello guys,

I tried a little mad scientist experiment. According to someone that commented on one of these forums, mixing table salt with gain improves viscosity, I bought a small sample size and tried it. Did notice a little difference but not much. Anyone else had any luck with this? Ps, glad to know gain is chlorine stable, but what about joy and dawn?

Hello guys,

I tried a little mad scientist experiment. According to someone that commented on one of these forums, mixing table salt with gain improves viscosity, I bought a small sample size and tried it. Did notice a little difference but not much. Anyone else had any luck with this? Ps, glad to know gain is chlorine stable, but what about joy and dawn?