sandshomemanagement

First roof done need help

OK, I have read till my eyes feel like they are gonna bleed and have sprayed a few hundred gallons of water learning my new setup. I decided to do a roof for my neighbor for free to get the practice in. I had a brand new batch of sh come in at work and I made a 55 gallon batch of roof mix. I mixed 18 gallons of sh to the rest water. I didn't add surfactant and think that could be the reason for my problem. I sprayed the roof late in the evening and didn't rinse. The roof was a shingle roof that was quite black but didn't have any moss on it. It was a 6 and 12 pitch so I know I should have used gain but didn't. I didn't have t and wanted to finish before dark. I came by today after work and the roof is still as black as before I sprayed it. It looked to be turning white during application but something is definitely not right. I tried getting pics but the way the house is on a hill I cant get any that show whats up. Mainly wanting opinions on what could have happened and if its ok to put surfactant in a fresh batch and spray again. Thanks for the help.

What percentage was the SH that you used? 

As far as the (lack of) result; late in the evening shouldn't matter, pitch shouldn't matter, not rinsing shouldn't matter.  I know you posted this weeks ago, but, do you have any additional info to add? Have you gone back, tried again, etc?

OK, I have read till my eyes feel like they are gonna bleed and have sprayed a few hundred gallons of water learning my new setup. I decided to do a roof for my neighbor for free to get the practice in. I had a brand new batch of sh come in at work and I made a 55 gallon batch of roof mix. I mixed 18 gallons of sh to the rest water. I didn't add surfactant and think that could be the reason for my problem. I sprayed the roof late in the evening and didn't rinse. The roof was a shingle roof that was quite black but didn't have any moss on it. It was a 6 and 12 pitch so I know I should have used gain but didn't. I didn't have t and wanted to finish before dark. I came by today after work and the roof is still as black as before I sprayed it. It looked to be turning white during application but something is definitely not right. I tried getting pics but the way the house is on a hill I cant get any that show whats up. Mainly wanting opinions on what could have happened and if its ok to put surfactant in a fresh batch and spray again. Thanks for the help.

The lack of surfactant was not your problem, you most likely have a weak batch of the SH. Try going up to a 50/50 mix, since the weaker mix you made did nothing. 

The lack of surfactant was not your problem, you most likely have a weak batch of the SH. Try going up to a 50/50 mix, since the weaker mix you made did nothing. 

50/50 should do the trick, but please make sure you protect the plants, or it might end up looking like you poured battery acid on them!

Thank you for the reply. It was a brand new barrel that came in but I bet it had sit a while. I will try that. Thank you again.

What was the temperature? SH is temperature sensitive. The lower the temperature is, the weaker the oxidization. If the temp was cold, the mix was weak for the temperature (that is a 33% mix) and you didn't use surfactant...it would explain things. Below 40 degrees you pretty much need to be at 50% mix strength for things to work.