The Importance Of Fresh SH

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

One reason there is such a wide variation in suggested SH to water ratios for a roof cleaning mix is this. All of us buy SH in various states of decomposition!

Here in Tampa Florida, our SH is HOT, meaning it is extremely fresh, because of all the swimming pools down here.

We clean shingle roofs every single day with a 25 percent SH to Water ratio, this means 25 gallons chlorine added to 75 gallons of water!

I have got store bleach right off the Clorox delivery truck, and they even have a plant in Tampa! 

It will not do anything, except maybe get the shit stains out of underwear. For cleaning roofs professionally, it will make you look like a fool.

You MUST find a reliable source of fresh SH, in your neck of the woods, if you want to be successful in the roof cleaning business, simple as that.

The powdered pool chlorine is useless for cleaning roofs, and can and will leave a nasty white scale, all over everything that will take Acid, Pressure, and an act of God, to remove.

Edited by Apple Roof Cleaning (813) 655-8777

Posted

We just switched SH suppliers. We were using Univar but they just changed their policy on minimum order quantities. We would have to either purchase more at a time resulting in the SH sitting longer decomposing or purchasing the right amount and paying the extra surcharges. The other supplier has no minimum delivery amount and charges the same as Univar per gallon.

Posted

We just switched SH suppliers. We were using Univar but they just changed their policy on minimum order quantities. We would have to either purchase more at a time resulting in the SH sitting longer decomposing or purchasing the right amount and paying the extra surcharges. The other supplier has no minimum delivery amount and charges the same as Univar per gallon.

Nearly every time a person has trouble cleaning a roof chemically, it is always due to having bad SH. Bad SH will make even the best roof cleaner look like an incompetent azzhole.  You must, I repeat you must find a source of good fresh SH, if you want to be into the roof cleaning business. The harder it is for you to find good fresh SH in your area, the harder it will be for your potential competitors, so rejoice!  This is one reason competition is so fierce here in Tampa Florida, Fresh SH is literally on every corner.

JetBlueRacer likes this

Posted

Wow.  We saved about $1200 / month is chlorine costs when we switched over to Univar, but we're getting bulk discounts (buying LOTS of it).  Glad you found another cost effective supplier.

Posted

I found a local source in my area that sells 16.5% SH... They have a couple thousand gallon tank stored indoors out of the sun, but, not in an AC warehouse... Pretty cool as you would fill up your car... Gas handle fill... Pumps quick... !!!

I understand that you can legally carry I believe 55 gallons of SH...

Questions are:

Do most roof cleaners pick up their daily amounts at their happy to go to places ( Basically making it the first stop in the early a.m. ) ???

OR

Do they bring X amount to their home for the week ???

OR

Will these SH suppliers drop off at your home where you can store in your personal garage... ???

Posted

Here in Tampa Florida, there are a zillion swimming pool supply stores that have 1500 + Gallon tanks. It is like a SH Drivethrough, we pull our trucks up, and fill the tanks, sometimes twice a week, it all depends. 

JetBlueRacer likes this

Posted

I found a local source in my area that sells 16.5% SH... They have a couple thousand gallon tank stored indoors out of the sun, but, not in an AC warehouse... Pretty cool as you would fill up your car... Gas handle fill... Pumps quick... !!!

I understand that you can legally carry I believe 55 gallons of SH...

Questions are:

Do most roof cleaners pick up their daily amounts at their happy to go to places ( Basically making it the first stop in the early a.m. ) ???

OR

Do they bring X amount to their home for the week ???

OR

Will these SH suppliers drop off at your home where you can store in your personal garage... ???

We pick ours up in 50 gallon drums the day before we clean. Usually between 2-3 each week. They load it in my truck and from there I use a transfer pump. It either goes directly into my mix tank or in my storage tank in garage. 

JetBlueRacer likes this