Roof Cleaning Clothing

14 posts in this topic

Posted

We used to provide full uniforms for our men, but it is HOT here in Tampa, Florida.

Not to many want to clean 3 to 5 roofs a day in long pants, LOL

So, here is my experience on Chlorine resistant clothing.

Stay away from Cotton, it will get ate up.

Polyester is best, or a blend of at least 50 percent polyester/50 percent cotton holds up well.

For some reason, the color gray don't bleach out, and all our company shirts are this color.

Ink will not bleach, so if you simply get a gray t shirt of 50/50 printed, it will last a long time.

We wear shorts because we Don't use wands with angled nozzles spraying at our feet.

We like Polyester shorts, but hard to find em with pockets, so Nylon is often worn.

We do not find shorts to be a problem because we spray with our backs to the wind as much as possible.

Just wanted to share what we do here in Florida, and interested in what YOU do ?

Posted

I wore white cotton Dickie's painters shorts all summer with no problem.  They don't get wet. BUT the same ones in long pants were shredded around my boots in almost three weeks.  Now I'm wearing the Dickie's 874 work pants.  I wish they had pockets on the legs for all the nozzles and such I stick in there. 

Posted (edited)

I wore white cotton Dickie's painters shorts all summer with no problem.  They don't get wet. BUT the same ones in long pants were shredded around my boots in almost three weeks.  Now I'm wearing the Dickie's 874 work pants.  I wish they had pockets on the legs for all the nozzles and such I stick in there. 

Bryan, Dickies makes a work pant that does have side, or cargo pockets (at last they did as of about two years ago).  These may be the sames ones with the double thick / reinforced knee area.  A bit hot in warm weather, but tough as nails.

Edit - found them here http://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing/mens-cargo-pants/

Edited by Roof Cleaning Virginia
Add info

Posted

Bryan, Dickies makes a work pant that does have side, or cargo pockets (at last they did as of about two years ago).  These may be the sames ones with the double thick / reinforced knee area.  A bit hot in warm weather, but tough as nails.

Edit - found them here http://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing/mens-cargo-pants/

Wonder if they have shorts ?

Posted

lol

Posted

Great post Chris, I just saw this today. 

Here's what we wear. Khaki golf shorts from Wal-mart. Can't remember the brand, but they're cheap. They don't bleach out, and they're thin and light. They are polyester, so they dry quickly and they keep you cool because they're not heavy material weighing you down. They have pockets front and back like regular shorts, and they actually last a long time. They have the bonus of looking clean and professional, and they wash up nicely. I've slid a couple roofs on the behind, and it washed right out.

That said, they will tear if you really go sliding in them. For all we've put them through the past two years, they are great. Way better than anything else we've worn. 

For shirts, I like the dye sumblimated ones. We get a lot of compliments and requests because of them. Of course, ours aren't super cheesy looking either. The one caveat with these is the colors wear over time. It takes a while, but after a year the color loss is significant. It just kind of fades and lightens from the chems. It's worse if you wash a lot of houses, which we do. The shirts are also polyester, so they dry fast and let the breeze through. 

I noticed what you said about gray shirts. They simply don't bleach for some reason. We had gray shirts for a while, but the cotton once soaked is so heavy and oppressive! Until I went with polyester, the gray ones were the only thing we found that worked.

With these uniforms, we don't feel as heavy and weighed down like cotton does, and when you really get your sweat on in the middle of summer, these at least air out and dry better than cotton. 

Posted

Great post Chris, I just saw this today. 

Here's what we wear. Khaki golf shorts from Wal-mart. Can't remember the brand, but they're cheap. They don't bleach out, and they're thin and light. They are polyester, so they dry quickly and they keep you cool because they're not heavy material weighing you down. They have pockets front and back like regular shorts, and they actually last a long time. They have the bonus of looking clean and professional, and they wash up nicely. I've slid a couple roofs on the behind, and it washed right out.

That said, they will tear if you really go sliding in them. For all we've put them through the past two years, they are great. Way better than anything else we've worn. 

For shirts, I like the dye sumblimated ones. We get a lot of compliments and requests because of them. Of course, ours aren't super cheesy looking either. The one caveat with these is the colors wear over time. It takes a while, but after a year the color loss is significant. It just kind of fades and lightens from the chems. It's worse if you wash a lot of houses, which we do. The shirts are also polyester, so they dry fast and let the breeze through. 

I noticed what you said about gray shirts. They simply don't bleach for some reason. We had gray shirts for a while, but the cotton once soaked is so heavy and oppressive! Until I went with polyester, the gray ones were the only thing we found that worked.

With these uniforms, we don't feel as heavy and weighed down like cotton does, and when you really get your sweat on in the middle of summer, these at least air out and dry better than cotton. 

I agree. Cotton is great, till it gets wet

Posted

I'll have to try the polyester cotton mix. We wear all white cotton with website on the back  and small logo front left. White doesn't bleach either, lol. But gets dirty quick. Still looks ok after being washed. All of our shorts are cargo khaki or grey. Both are bleach spotted and stained. Plus my legs burn every other job because like Chris said " angle wand " mists on legs. I started wearing high socks. This definitely helps. Looking for another alternative besides pants. Sometimes we wear sun hats as well, which work great but are all bleached out, lol. 

Posted

I'll have to try the polyester cotton mix. We wear all white cotton with website on the back  and small logo front left. White doesn't bleach either, lol. But gets dirty quick. Still looks ok after being washed. All of our shorts are cargo khaki or grey. Both are bleach spotted and stained. Plus my legs burn every other job because like Chris said " angle wand " mists on legs. I started wearing high socks. This definitely helps. Looking for another alternative besides pants. Sometimes we wear sun hats as well, which work great but are all bleached out, lol. 

LOL, it is said you can always tell the roof cleaners, if they are wearing shorts. They are missing hair on parts of their legs!

Posted

lol, I think I would rather wear pants than have my legs fried.

Posted

I always wondered what others thought about work clothes and the chems. I wear polyester blend gym shorts or sweats depending on temperature.  With that goes a polyester blend shirt. Both from Walmart and cheap to replace.  I find the sweats get spotty after a few jobs, but the shorts last and last. Very comfortable and most importantly breathable.  They dry real fast so even on some very hot days I will wet myself down and not feel heavy like with cotton.

Posted

I've been wearing 65/35 poly/cotton uniform clothes since the late eighties and they hold up excellent. The newer Dickies pants with the right leg pocket are nice.

A couple years back, I spilled straight 12% on the left leg of a brand new pair of the Dickies and figured they would be toast however, when I washed a load, I couldn't tell which pants had the sh spilled on.

All the best,

Mike