Apple Roof Cleaning (813) 655-8777

We Use An EPA Registered Pesticide To Clean Your Roof !

Anyone ever get sick of would be competitors like Roof A Cide etc, etc, etc trying to  steal your customers by claiming that only they use an EPA Registered Pesticide to clean your roof with ? LOL, they imply that only their roof cleaning chemical is approved by the EPA. This is simply untrue, as you will see here http://www.pesticideinfo.org/List_Products.jsp?SiteName=Asphalt roofs&offset=0

LOL, Sodium Hypochlorite has long been EPA Approved for cleaning roofs, both as an Algaecide, and a Pesticide.  

As far as I can tell with Roof A Cide, they pressure wash the roofs, then they spray them with the copper sulfate they call Roof A Cide. hell, any of us could pressure wash the roofs, then spray them with some SH and water.

In fact, here near Tampa, down in Sun City Florida, a big pressure washing outfit called Fleet Wash rips off old people weekly! They pressure wash the shingle roofs dirt cheap, and then hit them up 2 times a year for a keep it clean re spray with bleach at 75 dollars a pop. :( 

I saw these guys and I exposed their bogus claims in the roof cleaning group on Facebook. These clowns use a surface cleaner on asphalt shingles, and claim the manufacturers approve of it. First, NO shingle manufacturer approves of pressure washing the granules off of their shingles. NONE. I do work for a number of them, and they choose us because we are certified, and because we use RCIA approved cleaning processes that are SAFE for the roof. 

Second, their copper sulfate is NOT "approved" by the EPA. That is another bogus claim. It is REGISTERED as a PESTICIDE, but the EPA doesn't condone or recommend ANY products. 

To anyone considering hiring the Roof Homicide guys, be forewarned, the shingle manufacturer WILL NOT honor a warranty once you've pressure washed your roof. Pressure washing turns a 30 year roof into a 15 year roof. I implore anyone to call their shingle manufacturer and see if they approve of CONCRETE SURFACE CLEANERS and PRESSURE WASHERS being used on their asphalt shingles. Since the granules are half the life of the shingles, I'm positive the answer will simply be no. 

DO NOT fall for these roof homicide fellas, or you can kiss your 30 year roof warranty good bye. Same goes with roof "shampoos" and others who are not certified, educated, and experienced roof cleaners. 

They also make the claim that bleach is bad for the environment, because they know that zero pressure roof cleaning uses sodium hypochlorite based solutions to safely clean roofs. The truth is, in the wrong hands, roof cleaning can devastate landscaping. Many a hack has found out the hard way. So has many a homeowner who wouldn't pay a premium for a professional service. However, sodium hypochlorite is just salt water in the end, and is safer than ANY so called "cleaner" that needs registered with the EPA as a pesticide! 

It appears that they pressure wash a roof, then come back once a year or so and spray it with copper sulfate, to keep it clean.  The twice yearly spray is what keeps the roofs clean, and you can do the exact same thing with a weak 20% SH to water solution. 

It appears that they pressure wash a roof, then come back once a year or so and spray it with copper sulfate, to keep it clean.  The twice yearly spray is what keeps the roofs clean, and you can do the exact same thing with a weak 20% SH to water solution. 

I learned the process we use from a crew of guys doing some shingled roof apartment buildings.

They came from Sarasota and were nice enough to show me the whole shebang. Back then, early-mid 90's - they and I used a 1.2 or similar, ShureFlo pump and 1/4" id hose.

I cleaned my own shingled roof in the mid 90's for practice and need, as I learned to clean with SH like we do now.

After the initial cleaning, I too just hit it with a light 20% SH mix every couple of years and never saw algae again on mine.

Mine was a 25 year shingle, but at 25 years it looked just fine, with very little granule loss.

Of course, my insurance company made me replace it anyway, because it had reached to 25 year life span!  $10,000 :-(

By the way, good find and post Chris!

Add to that - Roof-A-Cide is an after coating, or "field coating"

The ARMA also says not to allow anyone to apply any roof coatings. 
This is a common sales gimmick. 
Usually pressure washing companies-not roof cleaning companies-
will pressure wash a roof and then sell an after coating, 
which they want to reapply every 2 years. Read the ARMA warning below about this specifically.
http://www.asphaltroofing.org/coating-asphalt-shingles-after-installation