JetBlueRacer

Perfect work space size ???

Good afternoon,

For the guys that have been in this business for many years what do you think is the perfect sized space needed whether it be on a trailer or on a flat bed ... ???

What I mean by this question is for the perfect roof cleaning layout ( tanks, reels, equipment, etc... )

Thank you guys and keep pounding that water... Hot as molasses in South Florida... !!!

Tommy

You can always take some painters tape and make a rectangle on the ground that would represent a flat bed or trailer deck.  If you don't have all of your equipment yet, you can find the dimensions online.  Use more tape or chalk to represent your equipment layout inside of your surface area.  It will definitely help you see how quickly space gets taken up with all of your different equipment. Leave yourself plenty of room between equipment for access, exhaust, etc.  I'm having a custom open trailer built and will probably end up with 6.6x 14 flat deck without rails.  Rails are for lawn trailers and only get in the way.

Thanks Andrew,

The 12 foot gatormade trailer has 6'10" X 9 foot work space... It seems that it would be sufficient space, but, 12' would be nicer which would put me at a 16 foot trailer... Trying to stay at 6 X 12 tandem to keep smaller... !!!

Tommy

If you run an 8 GPM unit and a roof rig, then 14 ft is a good space. You need room for tanks including mix, a big buffer and DS tank,  the PW unit, fuel tank or tanks, reels (stacking helps). If you run air, you need room for compressor(s) and pump(s), ladders, safety gear, misc tools, etc. You CAN get smaller, but things get very very squished and space management becomes ultra critical. Flat bed is better than trailer...easier to maneuver. 

Space and value wise, it is near impossible to go wrong with the 20 CFM Eaton wheelbarrow compressor. A lot smaller than a truck mount with more CFM than many of them. If you need more air, buy two and stack them. 40 CFM with a 5 year warranty for about $2600 (with electric start) plus shipping is pretty much impossible to beat. 

It IS possible to cram a LOT of gear in a small space...but it takes some design work. This is a 5.5 GPM Hot water PW with 4 main tanks (chem/mix and 2 buffers), 3 aux tanks for DS and acid (concrete), 4 motorized reels (water, roof, Pressure wash and Air), 30 gallon compressor, 1" air pump and 3/8" pump on a 9 ft flatbed I designed and engineered for a customer in Louisiana.  We were literally down to  1/4 inches of clearance with everything being custom fabricated. Took weeks to design the layout so everything fit and could be used and serviced. I think I have over 25 design revisions on my computer and I made more when I flew out for the install. 

IMG_0377_zpszlqjhran.jpg