Apple Roof Cleaning (813) 655-8777

New Roof Cleaning Forum Members Post Here

Never EVER EVER use Joy Dishwashing Soap! Use Gain Ultra Original Scent.

We dont have liquid gain dish detergent where I live. What's the downfall in using joy? It doesnt fume up like it does with dawn ultra. I dont think it has very much of an anionic charge.

We dont have liquid gain dish detergent where I live. What's the downfall in using joy? It doesnt fume up like it does with dawn ultra. I dont think it has very much of an anionic charge.

Well, I stand corrected! I tried Joy a long time ago, and it sizzled and foamed up in bleach, and you could see the fumes! But, it appears they have changed it, and it is now totally compatible, with everything! http://msds-data.com/MSDS/PG/Joy_Liquid_Dish_37170_msds.pdf

It has NO Materials to avoid, in it's warnings!

I still can't find what surfactant they are using, but it is compatible with anything and everything!

Why can you not find Gain Ultra, where are you ?

Well, I stand corrected! I tried Joy a long time ago, and it sizzled and foamed up in bleach, and you could see the fumes! But, it appears they have changed it, and it is now totally compatible, with everything! http://msds-data.com/MSDS/PG/Joy_Liquid_Dish_37170_msds.pdf

It has NO Materials to avoid, in it's warnings!

I still can't find what surfactant they are using, but it is compatible with anything and everything!

Why can you not find Gain Ultra, where are you ?

Awesome!!! You had me worried chris! I live in british Columbia in chilliwack. . Close to vancouver. I checked every grocery store and dollar store and they all carry the same ivory, dawn, palmolive, etc. Gain laundry detergent but not for dish soap :(.

Awesome!!! You had me worried chris! I live in british Columbia in chilliwack. . Close to vancouver. I checked every grocery store and dollar store and they all carry the same ivory, dawn, palmolive, etc. Gain laundry detergent but not for dish soap :(.

I know exactly where Chilliwack is, I lived in Seattle from 1976 till 1989. According to the MSDS Sheet, you are more then good to go with the Joy Dishwashing Soap. In fact, even the scented Joy is ok to use, so you may want to try the Lemon Fresh Joy ?

Gain is made especially for all the Spanish in the American market. 

I know exactly where Chilliwack is, I lived in Seattle from 1976 till 1989. According to the MSDS Sheet, you are more then good to go with the Joy Dishwashing Soap. In fact, even the scented Joy is ok to use, so you may want to try the Lemon Fresh Joy ?

Gain is made especially for all the Spanish in the American market. 

558806_570992892957830_1181557742_n.jpg1233630_570992852957834_361647170_n.jpg

This is the only dish soap i can find in 1 gallon jugs for $15.75 each.  which is about 2 1/2 - 3 44oz jugs... Advertised for pots and pans. I believe it's original scented, doesn't say.  I've added pine sol to the mix and that helps a bit with the masking but the pine oil content in it is really low, like 10%? 

558806_570992892957830_1181557742_n.jpg1233630_570992852957834_361647170_n.jpg

This is the only dish soap i can find in 1 gallon jugs for $15.75 each.  which is about 2 1/2 - 3 44oz jugs... Advertised for pots and pans. I believe it's original scented, doesn't say.  I've added pine sol to the mix and that helps a bit with the masking but the pine oil content in it is really low, like 10%? 

This Joy appears to be different from regular Joy Dishwashing liquid. This is Joy for Pots and Pans, I need to look at the MSDS for it, it may be quite different.

As far as pine oil goes, yes, it will sort of mask the small, but it makes the roof cleaning mix small like a Men's bathroom, IMHO.

Plus, Pine Oil is not compatible with Chlorine, and it will smoke, as well as create big globs in your tank.

This is not a problem for guys that do one roof at a time, but for guys like us, with dual 300 gallon tanks of roof cleaning mix, it sucks to see globs of Pine Oil, floating in the tanks!

Question: I'm brand new to this...when you quote a $400 roof cleaning, about how many gallons of solution do you anticipate using?

I was under the impression about 55 gallons of total mix (SH and water).  I just did a house and ended up using 80 gallons.  Should I have priced the cleaning job higher?

Thanks

Joe.

Question: I'm brand new to this...when you quote a $400 roof cleaning, about how many gallons of solution do you anticipate using?

I was under the impression about 55 gallons of total mix (SH and water).  I just did a house and ended up using 80 gallons.  Should I have priced the cleaning job higher?

Thanks

Joe.

How big was the home you cleaned ? It may be your nozzle was too big, or the roof cleaning solution too weak ?

Amoumt of money has nothing to do with how much mix you use. The correlation should be between square and gallons.

How many square was the roof? What pitch was it?

Alright, I think I did underbid, anyhow the sq/ft. was 2,600 and it was a ranch!  The pitch?  I'm not sure but it was walkable.

In front there were many black streaks, not much on the sides or back.

What would you have priced this job out at?  Also, here in the Cleveland Ohio area, the SH runs $3.50/gallon.

Thanks

Joe.

You mentioned in one of your posts you have a warranty us roof cleaners could use? mind if you could link the document?  i couldnt get through to the one you had on the forum.  maybe you have one on your computer i could use? personal message me the file?

thanks Chris.

Hi there apple and others. Im new to the buisiness, I want to get started cheaply not much $ for start up. Ive done about 2 weeks of research and read all your threads and others as well. Go alot of conflicting info. Im going to use my dads home, barrel tile as a test subject. Looks like painted cement or clay.

Im in miami, fl. Tried adding salt to gain to thicken, did not make much of a difference in viscosity. Anyways, ive got your gain recipe and got some 10.5%sh (is that good enough) all I can find in my area.

Also, id like to add tsp. Would you be kind enough to help me with a ratio breakdown (percent of individual chem)of what to use? im asking because id like to make small 2.5 or 1 gallon test batches of chems to test their cleaning abilities. Also, do you scrub the roofs or just spray n go?

Id like to know how to price the work as well, currently im using $0.18 p/sf as a benchmark. I have to compete with many immigrants down here as well basically charging about $275 p home to pressure clean. I dont beleive anyone around my area is doing softwashing so id like to jump into the action. thanks for your time

Ariel Martin.

Hi there apple and others. Im new to the buisiness, I want to get started cheaply not much $ for start up. Ive done about 2 weeks of research and read all your threads and others as well. Go alot of conflicting info. Im going to use my dads home, barrel tile as a test subject. Looks like painted cement or clay.

Im in miami, fl. Tried adding salt to gain to thicken, did not make much of a difference in viscosity. Anyways, ive got your gain recipe and got some 10.5%sh (is that good enough) all I can find in my area.

Also, id like to add tsp. Would you be kind enough to help me with a ratio breakdown (percent of individual chem)of what to use? im asking because id like to make small 2.5 or 1 gallon test batches of chems to test their cleaning abilities. Also, do you scrub the roofs or just spray n go?

Id like to know how to price the work as well, currently im using $0.18 p/sf as a benchmark. I have to compete with many immigrants down here as well basically charging about $275 p home to pressure clean. I dont beleive anyone around my area is doing softwashing so id like to jump into the action. thanks for your time

Ariel Martin.

TSP is not really needed, except on bare cement tile, and can dull paint on tile roofs, if you use too much.

Even using Gain on Tile roofs can make them slick as all heck, so I suggest you just use the SH and water to start.

Pricing is different everywhere, I am in Tampa, and we get from 20 to 30 cents a sq ft of the hose, for cleaning tile roofs.

Ariel Martin.

Well, before I read this, I mixed up a 50/50 batch of sh n water, added about 10% tsp and gain, added some table salt too. I know doesnt work out to 100%, but more or less same tsp to gain ratio. I did try it out, spraying tsp n sh vs just sh, all using gain as a surfactant, and surprisingly the sh water gain formula with no tsp did the same job. I also double treated segments and there was a huge difference. Maybe triple treat? Anyways, results were awesome. Using 10.5 sh so now, I need a more efficient way to apply it. Using 1 gal $15 sprayer n walking on roof lol, did almost 1/4 roof with just a one gallon sprayer btw.

Well, before I read this, I mixed up a 50/50 batch of sh n water, added about 10% tsp and gain, added some table salt too. I know doesnt work out to 100%, but more or less same tsp to gain ratio. I did try it out, spraying tsp n sh vs just sh, all using gain as a surfactant, and surprisingly the sh water gain formula with no tsp did the same job. I also double treated segments and there was a huge difference. Maybe triple treat? Anyways, results were awesome. Using 10.5 sh so now, I need a more efficient way to apply it. Using 1 gal $15 sprayer n walking on roof lol, did almost 1/4 roof with just a one gallon sprayer btw.

sounds like it may be time for a roof cleaning pump ?

Hi everyone, I signed up for this forum a few months back but never got around to setting it up. My name is Jon Karmazyn, I own Revive Coatings based in the Allentown (Lehigh Valley) area of Pennsylvania. I have been in business for just under 1 year so far. I do both pressure washing & soft washing, commercial & residential. I got into roofs this spring and really enjoy it. I have learned a lot just by doing a few and from talking to Eric from A&E. I look forward to continue learning from everyones experience on here.  

Hello everyone!  My name is David.  I own a small business called HCTC Cleaning Services.  I have been pressure washing in my area and doing windows for a while.  Recently, I've become interested in roof cleaning.  I love to read and study, so I joined to get as much info as I could get and hopefully share with others as I learn.  I want to do the best job I can for my customers.  Hopefully I will gain some great helps here at RCIA!  

Hello everyone!  My name is David.  I own a small business called HCTC Cleaning Services.  I have been pressure washing in my area and doing windows for a while.  Recently, I've become interested in roof cleaning.  I love to read and study, so I joined to get as much info as I could get and hopefully share with others as I learn.  I want to do the best job I can for my customers.  Hopefully I will gain some great helps here at RCIA!  

Welcome David! It is always best to fill out your signature, especially if you have a website! The Forum will greatly help your SEO!