Apple Roof Cleaning (813) 655-8777

New Roof Cleaning Forum Members Post Here

Hello my name is Kyle and I'm new to the forum.  I have been doing restaurant hoods and flat surface cleaning for a couple of years.  I want to add roof cleaning, and improve my exterior cleaning capabilities on surfaces like stucco, so I'm in the process of ordering the equipment I need to build a "soft wash" rig with an air diaphragm pump setup (thanks to Kevin at Peak of Perfection for his advise).  He recommended this site, and it has been a great source of info.  I thank everyone who has contributed to the site! 

Is there an old thread on here anywhere with pics of some of your setups?  It would be helpful to see the different setups and options that you guys are using.  I have a tandem axle enclosed trailer that I am planning to use at this point.  I plan to set it up in such a way that I can load and offload my pressure washer from the rear of the trailer in case I need both on the job for flat surface cleaning.   I need to be able to offload the pressure washer because some of my hoods are 90 miles away and I don't want to have to pull the whole rig that far for those jobs.  I will use the tractor and the forks to move it back to my small trailer for those jobs.  I just wanted to throw that out there so you will have a basic idea of what my needs are in case anyone has some advise they would like to offer. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advise that you give.

Edited by Kyle Clark

Hello,

My name is Drake McCalister and I am a home owner in Steubenville, Ohio. I am not a roof cleaner but I am in need of cleaning 4500 Ludowici green glazed clay tiles that are off my roof and on pallets on the ground. I need to sell them, but I cannot in their blackened state.

I have tried all manner of household cleaners to no avail. I need something affordable to do the large job. The only product I found to cut through the pollution on the tile is Muratic Acid, which is not really an option for a large job, and it still required a TON of hand scrubbing.

Questions:
What do I use to clean these tiles?
What is the best technique (they are off the roof)?

Details:
1929 Tile Roof
Ludowici Green Glazed tile
4500 Pieces
Steubenville, OH, which means steel factory pollution and age (this is my guess)
Before and After picture attached (cleaned with Muratic acid)

I'd sell the tiles as is if anyone is interested, but so far any buyer is only interested if cleaned. This is a very nice tile, with large caps, ridge pieces and smaller pieces all intact.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Drake
drakem@mac.com

01.2 After.JPG

01.1 Before.JPG

You need to locate some fresh Sodium Hypochlorite. It is often sold by chemical supply companies in 5 gallon and 55 gallon drums.  IF it is fairly fresh, a 50/50 mixture of it and water sprayed on the tiles, and allowed to dwell for up to 20 minutes will clean them right up. Sometimes, it might take a touch up on some of the tiles. 

You need to locate some fresh Sodium Hypochlorite. It is often sold by chemical supply companies in 5 gallon and 55 gallon drums.  IF it is fairly fresh, a 50/50 mixture of it and water sprayed on the tiles, and allowed to dwell for up to 20 minutes will clean them right up. Sometimes, it might take a touch up on some of the tiles. 

Thank you very much! I read through many posts on this forum and had yet to crack the abbreviations. I saw SH, but didn't know what it was.

Sincerely,
Drake

Drake, if you need help, give me a call.  I'll PM  my cell number for texting shortly.  I've helped many hundreds of guys find chemical for much less 95% of the time.  If you change the way you look for it, you should find it fresh and buy it often and save.  Always check the big suppliers such as Brenntag and Univar first.  Sodium Hypochlorite can't be purchased for the month and pulled off of or it will break down and be of no use to you.  You can't add fresh SH to the old combined chlorine or the old will be food for the new.  The following three things will break it down;  Ultraviolet Rays, Heat and Organic Material.

It is a different sort of chemical because it is sold as 53 gallons in a 55 gallon drum and it is sold by the gallon unlike just about every other Chem that is sold by the pound.  Ask where the quantity discount is.  Ask if they will drop the price with proven history of purchases.  Do they deliver to your area?  Can you recommend a big buyer that you can purchase smaller quantities from?  

Hi All It was really great reading Erik P first post last week and he said a lot of things I wish I had of thought of.It really made me laugh when  he describes travelling around his area and paying a lot more attention to the state of roofs near his home.I have been exactly the same really looking at roofs and state they are in.Hoping all the time that one day I can get up there doing what you guys do everyday. I drive past  a couple of clay tile roofs on my way to work and am thinking I would like to attempt to clean these first don't be fooled by my profile name it's my dream but not yet a reality . Like ERik I am still getting to grips with business set up insurance and safety.I have spent hours and hours looking through the  wealth of info stored in these forum and watching  endlless amounts of videos footage I must say at this point Chuck Bergman is a legend and my inspiration. I apologise if I'm going over things that have already been bought up I'm just trying to cost things out when you speak of the working season is it determined by cold temperature or by rain? .Secondly do you think that SH is ok on clay tile terracotta . Thanks in advance for any help on this topic.

Manu Harrison

Hey guys,

Have been lurking for awhile and finally decided to join. I see an opportunity in my area, have spoke with a local pressure washing service and sales guy and he validated some of my thoughts on our area. Now I'm hoping to validate through here. My plan is to take on asphalt shingle single story/ranches and vinyl siding using the non-pressure soft wash whatever you'd like to call it.  

I want to go the 12v Roof Washing route like I've seen many do, and upgrade as the funds allow rather than sink a lot of capital and find out my market didn't demand my services as I have researched. My setup would be like the diagram provided, small trailer rig, in the "How to Plumb your..." purchasing a kit from pressuretek or powerwash.com. With the exception of having a second tank that would be a buffer tank with a Booster Pump to rinse vinyl siding for one story/smaller homes if that's viable idea. What do you guys think? Tank sizes both 65 gallons, maybe 35 for the buffer tank, too small? Look forward to continuing to learn and hopefully contribute to this forum.

Thanks everyone!

We can offer you the equipment that will save you money!  I can put together a barebones 12 volt pump setup that will get you started and allow you to get the cash flow coming.  There is no need to go fancy.  Keep it simple as my diagram suggests.  

Hello all members RCIA.

My name is Dennis, I'm from RI. I have some good experience with roofs, used to work for roofing company.

I decided to open my own roof cleaning business a year ago, got my first equipment and of course it wasn't the best.

Then I found this forum ( thank you Chris Tacker, and all who helped to create this Everest of roof cleaning knowledge).

Now I got most that I need to build my first soft wash rig. Sure, I will have some questions to get it done right.

Have a great season, Roof cleaners!

Thanks in advance. 

Dennis

Hello all members RCIA.

My name is Dennis, I'm from RI. I have some good experience with roofs, used to work for roofing company.

I decided to open my own roof cleaning business a year ago, got my first equipment and of course it wasn't the best.

Then I found this forum ( thank you Chris Tacker, and all who helped to create this Everest of roof cleaning knowledge).

Now I got most that I need to build my first soft wash rig. Sure, I will have some questions to get it done right.

Thanks in advance. 

Dennis

Ask away Dennis, we are al here to help each other.

Hello all members RCIA.

Thanks in advance. 

Dennis

Ask away Dennis, we are al here to help each other.

Hello All,

First time poster. I have been self employed for a while. My clients have asked numerous times about power washing and roof moss removal. We have a good system for moss removal from lawns. Now to bridge the roof gap.

This year I would like to play around with soft washing (my house, shop, friends etc). I'd like to build a DIY set up on the cheap side (how many eye rolls?) then take off seriously assuming all the pieces fit.

I found a few mix(s) and the apple sauce mix and new apple sauce mix posted here. I plan to try these very soon. I already have most of the ingredients.

For starting out: I have several tow behind type sprayer tanks, 25-40 gal. They run 12v pumps with boom or nozzle. Hose is about 3/8". Not sure on GPM flow. Would this be too small of a unit for practical use?

My other option was to buy a 275 gal tote (plastic in metal cube) or the 300 gal high cube tote, and use a submersible pump or drop a hose into the tank. Assuming most jobs will not need whole tank mixed. The space will be nice, just figuring mix in 100 or etc gal batches.

Thoughts so far?

Other questions: Is liquid gain a must? I cant find it locally. Only gain laundry soap is available. Ajax, Dawn, Palmolive and Ivory available also. I am guess a strong smelling, affordable thick soap is required?

Sodium Hypochlorite (SH) I read that SH breaks down. How long for this to happen? And most bleach I can find is 8.25 or 8.5% not 12.5. Is there a bleach powder substitute?

How many sq ft on average will a 100 gal tank of apple sauce cover? (I know it varies a lot, trying to get average to determine tank size)

Hey when all else fails I can mix in the 900 gal hydroseeder. 125' spray cannon. Lol

Kidding^

Hello All,

First time poster. I have been self employed for a while. My clients have asked numerous times about power washing and roof moss removal. We have a good system for moss removal from lawns. Now to bridge the roof gap.

This year I would like to play around with soft washing (my house, shop, friends etc). I'd like to build a DIY set up on the cheap side (how many eye rolls?) then take off seriously assuming all the pieces fit.

I found a few mix(s) and the apple sauce mix and new apple sauce mix posted here. I plan to try these very soon. I already have most of the ingredients.

For starting out: I have several tow behind type sprayer tanks, 25-40 gal. They run 12v pumps with boom or nozzle. Hose is about 3/8". Not sure on GPM flow. Would this be too small of a unit for practical use?

My other option was to buy a 275 gal tote (plastic in metal cube) or the 300 gal high cube tote, and use a submersible pump or drop a hose into the tank. Assuming most jobs will not need whole tank mixed. The space will be nice, just figuring mix in 100 or etc gal batches.

Thoughts so far?

Other questions: Is liquid gain a must? I cant find it locally. Only gain laundry soap is available. Ajax, Dawn, Palmolive and Ivory available also. I am guess a strong smelling, affordable thick soap is required?

Sodium Hypochlorite (SH) I read that SH breaks down. How long for this to happen? And most bleach I can find is 8.25 or 8.5% not 12.5. Is there a bleach powder substitute?

How many sq ft on average will a 100 gal tank of apple sauce cover? (I know it varies a lot, trying to get average to determine tank size)

Hey when all else fails I can mix in the 900 gal hydroseeder. 125' spray cannon. Lol

Kidding^

Thanks

Edited by sir1
typo

Hello All,

Thoughts so far?

Kidding^

Thanks

Wow, my fingers will be sore if I answered every question you have. You need to start reading, then read some more! But I just want you to know this, ONLY SH and Water are required to clean any roof, the Gain is optional. 

Hi everyone, my name is Steve and I am from Massachusetts.  I have been a premium member for about 2 1/2 months and I figured it was time for me to introduce myself.  I recently retired from the CT Department of Corrections and I have been trying to find a business to operate that there is a need for in my area.  About 6 months ago I stumbled on the RCIA forum and I have been reading as much as I can since.   Once I became a premium member, I have had a few  great conversations with Chris and Gary and I can't thank them enough for taking the time to answer my questions and guide me in the right direction for my new business.  I also want to thank all of the members of the RCIA forum for all of their posts and giving everyone (especially the "newbies" like myself) the information needed to succeed in this industry.  Now it is just a matter of implementing the things that I have learned so far and getting things up and running. I am currently building my system and having a logo and website designed.  My insurance, federal tax ID #, and business certificate are in place.  I will be posting my build progress and pics on the premium members area.  Thanks again RCIAers for a great forum. 

Hi everyone, my name is Steve and I am from Massachusetts.  I have been a premium member for about 2 1/2 months and I figured it was time for me to introduce myself.  I recently retired from the CT Department of Corrections and I have been trying to find a business to operate that there is a need for in my area.  About 6 months ago I stumbled on the RCIA forum and I have been reading as much as I can since.   Once I became a premium member, I have had a few  great conversations with Chris and Gary and I can't thank them enough for taking the time to answer my questions and guide me in the right direction for my new business.  I also want to thank all of the members of the RCIA forum for all of their posts and giving everyone (especially the "newbies" like myself) the information needed to succeed in this industry.  Now it is just a matter of implementing the things that I have learned so far and getting things up and running. I am currently building my system and having a logo and website designed.  My insurance, federal tax ID #, and business certificate are in place.  I will be posting my build progress and pics on the premium members area.  Thanks again RCIAers for a great forum. 

Glad to have you here! Be sure and add your website URL and Facebook Business Page to your forum signature ASAP for best SEO

Hello everyone,

I am new here.

Lindsey Hill is a blogger by interest and a contractor by profession. “Live, laugh, and let your style be expressed” is her motto for life.

Hi everyone. I am seriously considering starting a exterior cleaning company, mainly roofs I hope, I'm still in my research stages but can't settle on a name.My name is Rob Robertson so I'm not sure if I should keep it simple and just do robertsonroofcleaning.com or try something catchier. I'm in ne ohio and would love some feedback. Thanks....great site..love it