Chautauquawash.com

True hidden costs for newbies

These are the hidden costs to consider that shouldn't be overlooked when starting.

Certifications BBB etc.

Bus. License

Insurance

Tax preparers

lawyer

Website fees/upkeep

various internet fees

business line 

help

downtime

forms

fax line

Etc..

All this should be done b4 you ever buy a piece of equip., vehicle, ad, etc.

chime in if I forgot anything

Workers comp (see "Help"). 

Chemicals. 

Spares and tools...which the "help" will lose and get rusty. Constantly.

Cell phone costs if different from the business line.  

Invoicing and accounting software like Quickbooks. 

Tires and service costs for the vehicle(s). I have all too much experience with this lately. 

Edited by PeakOfPerfection

SS tax.  TIME. Uniforms or other promotional items separate from advertising. . Office supplies.  Computers.  TIME. Cleaning supplies. Association fees, Certification fees, books, courses, conventions. Cash on hand to fix or replace things you ruined or killed, that fall below your insurance deductibles. Did I mention TIME? 

These are the hidden costs to consider that shouldn't be overlooked when starting.

Certifications BBB etc.

Bus. License

Insurance

Tax preparers

lawyer

Website fees/upkeep

various internet fees

business line 

help

downtime

forms

fax line

Etc..

All this should be done b4 you ever buy a piece of equip., vehicle, ad, etc.

chime in if I forgot anything

Great info Chautauqua Wash. Several things I hadn't considered. It has been daunting trying to get everything involved in order just on the business end. The cost associated with going all above board with a small business really has made me gasp several times already. It's hard to justify considering my intentions are to run a business as a side gig to my full time  career. I am going to continue to move forward though and take a leap of faith that it can be rewarding even as a part time business and just see where it goes.

Also I notice that your located only an hour from me via rt 86. You are the closest and most proffesional looking legit operation as far as as any I could research online. Time permitting on your end, I would love to pick your brain a bit and possibly get to meet you and see your operation firsthand.  As of now I haven't purchased any equipment as I am still in the planning stage, but it is in the works and i would enjoy, and appreciate any advice a veteran like you could offer me beforehand,  Let me know if meeting is possible. It would be great to make your acquaintance. Thanks. 

Good luck Erick I am the same trying to do this part time until maybe I can develop business enough to break away from day job.Loved your first post I know exactly what you mean my wife and Co workers are tired of me going on about roof cleaning and I need to keep my eyes on the road not on the roofline when I'm driving at least.Go for it mate.Looking forward to seeing you on here moving forward and me along with you. While we are asking questions about business set up would you say company formation  insurance and safety are the first three things I should focus on.

Manu Harrison

Edited by Mistamoss RoofWash

Great info Chautauqua Wash. Several things I hadn't considered. It has been daunting trying to get everything involved in order just on the business end. The cost associated with going all above board with a small business really has made me gasp several times already. It's hard to justify considering my intentions are to run a business as a side gig to my full time  career. I am going to continue to move forward though and take a leap of faith that it can be rewarding even as a part time business and just see where it goes.

Also I notice that your located only an hour from me via rt 86. You are the closest and most proffesional looking legit operation as far as as any I could research online. Time permitting on your end, I would love to pick your brain a bit and possibly get to meet you and see your operation firsthand.  As of now I haven't purchased any equipment as I am still in the planning stage, but it is in the works and i would enjoy, and appreciate any advice a veteran like you could offer me beforehand,  Let me know if meeting is possible. It would be great to make your acquaintance. Thanks. 

Anytime buddy you in Erie?

Good luck to you as well Mistamoss. It is funny how this simple idea I stumbled upon on accident has consumed a good portion of my everyday life. There is no longer any free time. I spend that reading and reading and reading anything and everything pertaining to roof cleaning.   Although I'm positive I'm driving my wife crazy at times with this, she is supportive and she's spotting prospective clients.  She had me  turn around on the way home tonight so she could show me one she noticed earlier . Just cracks me up I guess. Life is a journey no doubt!! So keep pushing forward and I will do the same. We can keep intouch and keep eachother updated on our progress. As far as your question about the first three things to worry about I honestly don't have a good answer. I am all over the place it seems. I got sidetracked for several days with learning about website construction and then when I realized I didn't have a clue what I was doing I looked into some weboage designers and they were around $1200 just for a no frills page. Did not plan on that but will figure it out in time. I keep reading about the importance of a good website for your business and for a FB business page and back links and SEO and likes and juice and etc etc. Makes my computer illiterate  head spin. It's almost like learning a new language. So anyways I'm thinking someone else should give ya an answer. I have plenty of questions but I've been trying to read everything incase it's already been addressed on here already. I have to finish laundry now but wish ya all the best. It's been overwhelming at times but I just know it will be rewarding in the future. Like I mentioned earlier in a post about the saying ( The expert at anything was once the beginner.) That is so simple yet true.