I looked at an asphalt roof covering a horse barn. Grey shingles and they are quite black with GM. May need 2 coats. I am a little leary of using chlorine near horses. The roof is only about 40' long and I could set up temporary gutters and drain away from thier stomping grounds. I could dose the area with an ascorbic acid/water wash but like I read on another post, the salt is still there.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Edited by ReNew Roof & Exterior cleaning
Add

Gene, we've done quite a few equestrian properties.  Here are some things to consider; disclose EVERYTHING to the owners/care takers.  There's nothing of concern, yet given it's their horses, they should be allowed to make an informed decision.  As Dave and Jason have mentioned, rinsing may be in your best interest since there are no gutters.  I'd let the roof dry first, so the only thing coming off of it is salt.  To go the extra mile, you could treat the drip line with gypsum prior to the very heavy rinse.  Get paid, go home  :-)

Thanks guys for the advice. I think I will spray and let dry then rinse. I have disclosed to the owner that I use chlorine as with all my customers. I believe in being up front with them. To me, it builds trust and that is very important.

Edited by ReNew Roof & Exterior cleaning

Gene, we've done quite a few equestrian properties.  Here are some things to consider; disclose EVERYTHING to the owners/care takers.  There's nothing of concern, yet given it's their horses, they should be allowed to make an informed decision.  As Dave and Jason have mentioned, rinsing may be in your best interest since there are no gutters.  I'd let the roof dry first, so the only thing coming off of it is salt.  To go the extra mile, you could treat the drip line with gypsum prior to the very heavy rinse.  Get paid, go home  :-)

Excellent advice! Let them make the decision. If they prefer to have an ugly roof, then so be it. The world is full of dirty roofs and more are getting dirty every day. One job won't make you but it could break you. 

Fumes and overspray. That would be the number 1 things I would worry about. Horses need to be away from the building and definitely not inside or around it for the fumes. You need to make sure, as with any pets, that no overspray can get near them to get in eyes/etc. 

After that, as above.