Jim Ordway

Want input on trailer layout

I got my compressor installed, thanks to Kevin Enderle!  Now I am trying to figure out how to lay out the rest of my trailer.  I will be using 2ea. 70gal stacked tanks (for SH and Mix), and a 240 gal for fresh water.  The fresh water I will travel with empty (or nearly empty).  Do you see anything wrong with this layout or have suggestions?

large.12711072_10206790961505061_1420041

I agree. Switch over the other tank, if you can, as that is a lot of weight on one side. Maybe shift the compressor forward a little and put the SH tanks towards the rear axle on the same side.

But then you run the risk of possible SH getting on the compressor if anything happens with them directly next to each other on the same side.

whether the SH tank is on the side, front or back of the compressor some could get on it if you are not careful. Also be sure to following the weight distribution guidelines of the trailer manufacturer. It will specify the correct distribution including the required tongue weight.

Jim,

I'm not sure if it is a concern, but you have over 2700 lbs on one side and only 500 lbs on the other. I wonder if it would be better to shift the 700 lbs load to the other side with the compressor.

The fresh water will not travel full.  But, after looking at this for awhile and getting feedback I am leaning towards:

Moving compressor to just in front of front axle, and centered.

Moving both tanks over axles.  I will start out with SH in the one tank and can fill fresh water tank to balance out.  As the day progresses and the SH is depleted I simply decrease the amount of fresh water to equal weight of SH.

My thinking is moving the compressor towards the front and centered it keeps the tongue weight about the same.  I am getting a tongue scale to test out my theory.

Also, I guess I didn't have a notifications button on so I was not aware you guys had responded.  Thank you for your input!  I am learning as I go here and really appreciate the added insight.

I agree. Switch over the other tank, if you can, as that is a lot of weight on one side. Maybe shift the compressor forward a little and put the SH tanks towards the rear axle on the same side.

But then you run the risk of possible SH getting on the compressor if anything happens with them directly next to each other on the same side.

The SH and mix will be in sealed tanks, filled from outside of the trailer and also vented through the roof.  Hopefully minimizing any SH freely roaming inside the trailer.

The compressor is the constant weight, so moving it forward and the tanks back I do think is the best solution.  The SH and Fresh water will fit side by side.  I am going to test the tongue weight with the compressor just forward of the front axle.

I'm assuming it's a dual axle trailer if 14'. You could easily mount the compressor against the front wall. The average hot water pressure washer weighs over 900 lbs and nearly everyone puts them at the front. Then center your 240 gal tank and 2 70's over the axles. 

Are you mainly going to be doing roofs? If so, why the big water tank? I think you may find that a 70gal mix tank is pretty small. That's one decent size house. If you look at some pics of some of the other rigs on here you'll see that many have a 200 gal + tanks if they're doing mainly roofs.

As far as an SH tank, what I quickly found out was it was a lot quicker and easier to just load the barrels onto my trailer, other wise you're pumping them twice, once to fill up tank and then again to mix tank. I simply pump out of the barrels over to my mix tank. With your enclosed trailer probably easiest place to load would be in your side door, depending on your SH supplier. 

I'm assuming it's a dual axle trailer if 14'. You could easily mount the compressor against the front wall. The average hot water pressure washer weighs over 900 lbs and nearly everyone puts them at the front. Then center your 240 gal tank and 2 70's over the axles. 

Are you mainly going to be doing roofs? If so, why the big water tank? I think you may find that a 70gal mix tank is pretty small. That's one decent size house. If you look at some pics of some of the other rigs on here you'll see that many have a 200 gal + tanks if they're doing mainly roofs.

As far as an SH tank, what I quickly found out was it was a lot quicker and easier to just load the barrels onto my trailer, other wise you're pumping them twice, once to fill up tank and then again to mix tank. I simply pump out of the barrels over to my mix tank. With your enclosed trailer probably easiest place to load would be in your side door, depending on your SH supplier. 

Yes, it's a dual axle.  I think I'll be doing something very similar to what you suggested on placement.

The reason for the water tank is because the roofs mere really need to be rinsed and the area has varying water pressure with quite a few homes with wells.  A booster pump works in some areas but not all.  With a water tank use as a buffer I can have the exact same rinse quantity regardless of the water situation at a location.  

I've been using jigs for a few years now and really hate the lifting, carrying and pouring.  The SH will be gravity fed more than likely into the mix tank, or possibly pumped with my pump.  Either way it will not take too much time, and it eliminates lifting/pouring of 50-60 gallon jugs of a caustic chemical.  It's risk management I guess.

the feedback so far I've received in this group has been valuable.  There are differing views and processes, but it is really thought provoking and nice to have a differing view or positive encouragement!

Okay, I am waiting on items and am now having way too much fun.  I found a program called SketchUp, it can be found at http://www.sketchup.com and it is pretty darn cool.  Until my tanks arrive I am waiting on final configuration.  Until then, I can play around with mock-ups.  From everybody's advice on balance this is one mock-up I've came up with, and the compressor could also be moved to the very front as Pro Clean Exteriors suggested.

With this set-up I can use the fresh water tank to offset the weight of the SH and Mix Tank side.

What do ya think?

Trailer_Mock_Up.jpg

I like that layout a lot more. I would put the compressor to the front if it were me. That way you have access to the front and back of tanks with out any issue and the compressor is away from the tanks, just in case. Overall a bigger improvement on placement, a lot more balanced than before.

I like that layout a lot more. I would put the compressor to the front if it were me. That way you have access to the front and back of tanks with out any issue and the compressor is away from the tanks, just in case. Overall a bigger improvement on placement, a lot more balanced than before.

The compressor is quite heavy, over 500 lbs.  My concern is by moving it all the way forward to the front is my tongue weight will surely exceed 500 lbs.  My current truck has a 500 lb tongue limit.  I am hoping to add a larger truck this summer.

The compressor is quite heavy, over 500 lbs.  My concern is by moving it all the way forward to the front is my tongue weight will surely exceed 500 lbs.  My current truck has a 500 lb tongue limit.  I am hoping to add a larger truck this summer.

Hopefully you put the compressor all the way to the front. You will find tongue weight like that is just fine.