Getting ready to get into roof cleaning. Already have a residential and commercial cleaning business which include carpet cleaning.

Been on here for a few weeks reading everything i can on this. I will be cleaning mostly residential 2 story homes with gutters. Right now i'll

be happy with 3-4 houses a month. I got about $1800 to spend. I know i can get a Fatboy kit or a 3/8 or 1/2 air set up. I know i can build a

12 volt kit cheap if i wanted too. Would the 12 volt kit give me too much run-off vs air? I do like the fact that a 12 volt kit is quite vs running

an air compressor but if things go as planned the i know i'll end up with an air system anyway. Just looking for some opinions on the subject.

Thanks Shane  

I would go air all the way for your softwash system for cleaning roofs. For 1800.00 you can buy the harbor freight gas powered air compressor for 499.00. That will leave plenty for a tank and a pump, and some hose.

If i went with the HF compressor for $500, what pump would you recommend? Also would the 1/2'' pump be that much better then the 3/8''? There are alot of roofs that are to steep to walk so most of it would be done from the gutter line on a ladder..Will either size pump give me the distance i will need?

Thanks alot, Shane

If i went with the HF compressor for $500, what pump would you recommend? Also would the 1/2'' pump be that much better then the 3/8''? There are alot of roofs that are to steep to walk so most of it would be done from the gutter line on a ladder..Will either size pump give me the distance i will need?

Thanks alot, Shane

For what I do here in Florida, that air compressor and a 1/2 inch pump is all we need, 85% of the time.

Where do u live, and how much distance do u need Shane ? 

I'm up in Delaware. As far as the distance, it would be nice if i could stand on the ground a shoot to the top of a 2 story house. Alot of roofs are to steep to walk on. I have no problem being on a ladder at the gutter line but will take alot of time moving the ladder..What 1/2 inch pump would you recommend?

Thanks,Shane

I'm up in Delaware. As far as the distance, it would be nice if i could stand on the ground a shoot to the top of a 2 story house. Alot of roofs are to steep to walk on. I have no problem being on a ladder at the gutter line but will take alot of time moving the ladder..What 1/2 inch pump would you recommend?

Thanks,Shane

To do what you want reliably Shane, you will need a 1 inch pump with a 25 + CFM Air Compressor

Shooting up 2 a 2nd story tho don't you increase the risk of damaging siding or grass/plants with over spray esp if where is a wind? Seems better to just use a laddar and get close instead of shooting 50 ft I could be wrong tho

Im dumping my junk udor system and going air. What size compressor is needed,.

I suggest buying the biggest and best air compressor you can afford. For an air pump, there is no such thing as "too much air".  Bigger compressors more of less "Loaf" and smaller compressors struggle to provide some air demands. 

I've been referring a lot of my pump customers to the guys at Eaton compressors. They are American built and offer tremendous build quality. 

A 1/2" inch pump can shoot to the top of a 2 story from the ground if it is maxed out for CFM. That typically means 15-18 CFM. 

Neilson you didn't like your Udor? I was looking at one recently seems like most guys have problems with them.

I used the Udor Pump years ago, nothing BUT problems. I tried to warn others, but many did not listen. These Gas Pumps are NOT "designed for roof cleaning". They are merely mislabeled agricultural pumps. Lol, I can call an ugly woman beautiful, but she is still ugly, if you know what I mean ?

pure junk. Tubes are thin. It vibrates like crazy. I went to rebuild and it was never the same. 

Nearly every advance in roof cleaning came from me. You name it, pulling from the TOPS of the tanks vs bulkheads, large diameter hose, air pumps, chlorine stable surfactants, Gain Dish Soap, all were my discoveries that I shared with the roof cleaning world.  I was ridiculed years ago, until my research was proven to be the right way to go. few of you remember the roof cleaning hose size wars. Lately, I was ridiculed publicly for bad mouthing the UDOR pump, but I stuck to my guns, because I am not for sale. I would never sell out my cleaning brothers, like some have :( 

Nearly every advance in roof cleaning came from me. You name it, pulling from the TOPS of the tanks vs bulkheads, large diameter hose, air pumps, chlorine stable surfactants, Gain Dish Soap, all were my discoveries that I shared with the roof cleaning world.  I was ridiculed years ago, until my research was proven to be the right way to go. few of you remember the roof cleaning hose size wars. Lately, I was ridiculed publicly for bad mouthing the UDOR pump, but I stuck to my guns, because I am not for sale. I would never sell out my cleaning brothers, like some have :( 

I applaud you Chris for being so open and honest. And especially for not selling out. And for paying it forward. One of these days when I am in your area again I am going to call and see if your available for lunch or a beer my friend. Great to have you back full time on here and I hope your recovery is still on track. I really do owe you at least for the "AIR" concept. I was a happy 12 volt guy until a couple years ago when 2 new ones I bought from an online vendor crapped out on me. One after 1 use, the other after a few. I was fine just replaceing them every 6 months to a year before that. But that was the final straw when the vendor refused to help me out. It was a Godsend, because it precipitated my search and eventually finding this site. I was intrigued with "AIR" from my first discovery. And eventually changed over.  To which I like to  now say, "once you go AIR, you never go back there". 

It's my opinion this business started very slowly and simultaneously in two corners of the country, the Pacific Northwest because of "Moss and Lichen" and Florida because of GM.  And much like the automobile or combustion engine. Although Henry gets most of the credit, many others were discovery and developing it at the same time.  I say that because no one told me how to clean a roof 20 some years ago. I discovered it while cleaning a house. I am sure others did too.  About 20 years ago I bought a Task Force 25 gallon tank with an electric pump on it to go "Big Time"  LOL! I graduated from a garden sprayer. 18 years ago I beat out the biggest roof cleaning company in Orlando (sorry about that, I think it was your friend) for the first ever low pressure cleaning contract for Orange County Schools. So I had built a monster system with two 300 foot hoses, reels and electric pumps. That worked for me just fine. The first job was a 200k sf tile school roof. 

Funny thing.  I still have that Task Force tank and original pump. And wanted to spray some liquid fertilizer on a large area. It has sat in a shed all this time and I said let me try this,  And you know that 20 year old pump worked like a champ. Confirming once again to me that electric pumps today aint what they used to be. 

I say all this Chris because I want you to know the respect I have for you for how you have built your business and helped promote an entirely new industry. You are the man. When you and I started this was not even a viable business. Or even a stand alone livelihood.  i am a painter, who learned to clean roofs. What this generation probably dont realize is this industry is less than 30 years old. About the same age as the desk top computer. LOL!  And to say I think as the saying goes," I think we went to different schools together". and to thank you for sharing all your knowledge. I was at my wits end because of electric and even though I am your age, I still have to work (for reasons i will explain later)  and I am able to work and like to work. And am redefining my business and going to another level this year iin roof cleaning and restoration. But I do want to talk to you and explain the challenges I have in person and need your help in a couple other areas.  TIA!